tube or tubeless ?

myzeneye

i cant, for the life of me repair my leaky back tyre.... rim band looks fine buts its leaking through the spokes etc....

i seriously debating chucking a heavey duty inner tube in......

im told ill have to drill the valve hole out a tad larger to allow the inner tubes valve and once ive done that im obvoiusly stuck with inner tubes forever.......

are there any real dis- advantegs to me doing this ?

how many of you are running on a rear innertube ?

will my x11 tubeless tyre be ok with a tube inside?

im sure it'll be fine but the thought of not being able to go back to tubless if i dont like it...well, youve just gotta ask first havent you.... :icon_salut:

cheers guys...

I've done the same, IRC rear kept coming off the rim, when it did it in a trial someone gave me a tube, its been in since. I took the tubeless valve out and popped in the tube in the car park. I've done about 15 trials on it with no problems. (Touch wood)

If you are the kind of rider that puts A LOT! of power through the back wheel than the tube will eventually let you down as the tyre can spin on the rim and rip the vale stem off of the tube. But my guess is that 80% of riders don't ride like this.

One other consideration is the extra weight on the rear wheel which makes it harder to hop the back wheel.

Best of balance.

Neo

PS... I personally go to the trouble of fitting a rim tape and ensuring the tape and tyre bead are sealed ... but sometimes I wonder why I bother :rolleyes:

Edited by Neo

thanks for the comments guys....

pros and cons i guess.....

the rim tape thats in looks ummarked.... infact it looks like it grew there :blink:

i know if i start digging it out i will probably have a mare of a job cleaning it all up and getting the new rim tape to sit as flush in the grooves....

r kid suggested beading with silicon and i just laughed...perhaps it not a bad idea... he has some nasty horrid black stuff they use to bond windscreens in....bet that would do it.......... :blink: then again, the conclusion i came to was once i had blasted that kinda gook in the it would be horrendous to remove....

but as you say neo...and im the same..... sometimes you wonder why you bother going to all these limits...... thats why i ask.....shall i just bang a tube in.... ? :blush:

thanks for the comments guys....

pros and cons i guess.....

the rim tape thats in looks ummarked.... infact it looks like it grew there :blink:

i know if i start digging it out i will probably have a mare of a job cleaning it all up and getting the new rim tape to sit as flush in the grooves....

r kid suggested beading with silicon and i just laughed...perhaps it not a bad idea... he has some nasty horrid black stuff they use to bond windscreens in....bet that would do it.......... :blink: then again, the conclusion i came to was once i had blasted that kinda gook in the it would be horrendous to remove....

but as you say neo...and im the same..... sometimes you wonder why you bother going to all these limits...... thats why i ask.....shall i just bang a tube in.... ? :blush:

I did in the end.

Well if you get the Rim tape to work it will be a great learning experience :thumbup:

Yes the silicon is a hard to clean-up next time. But you can use marine grease in the tracks (either side of the band) and on the back of the nipples (stops em rusting). And that cleans up easily with spray degreaser and an old toothbrush.

One last point. Without an inner-tube you can use the "Dog Turd" inserts to repair a tyre puncher without taking the tyre off .... But I must say that I've never had one of those on a trials tyre in 6 years of riding Trials <_<

It's weird but novice riders tend to do the Tube. And then intermediate and experts tend to do the band but the the Trick (show) riders go back to the tube because they keep popping the tyre off of the rim with all that sideways movement.

But at the end of the day it's your call.... good luck :D

Best of balance.

Neo

Well if you get the Rim tape to work it will be a great learning experience :thumbup:

Yes the silicon is a hard to clean-up next time. But you can use marine grease in the tracks (either side of the band) and on the back of the nipples (stops em rusting). And that cleans up easily with spray degreaser and an old toothbrush.

One last point. Without an inner-tube you can use the "Dog Turd" inserts to repair a tyre puncher without taking the tyre off .... But I must say that I've never had one of those on a trials tyre in 6 years of riding Trials <_<

It's weird but novice riders tend to do the Tube. And then intermediate and experts tend to do the band but the the Trick (show) riders go back to the tube because they keep popping the tyre off of the rim with all that sideways movement.

But at the end of the day it's your call.... good luck :D

Best of balance.

Neo

and with that kind of advice, my minds made up. gonna get a heavy duty tube tomorrow. :icon_salut: