Oset vs Mecatechno

nickytricks

Cant comment on the Mecatechno, but my son had a OSET and loved it, and the OSET is a family run business in the UK, although the bike was developed in America before the Smith family moved back home. I have met most of them and they are really good bunch and also very good when anything goes wrong as I had a charger go wrong, sent me a replacement free of charge, and also very helpful when the bike wont go due to the battery terminal not being plugged back in(yes I did feel stupid).

So my vote will always go with an OSET !!!!

The Osets are brilliant if you want to throw the bike in the back of a car and just get out and go!

The build quality is very good but the battery life can be a limiting factor.

My 3 year old runs out of energy before her 12.5 runs out of power but the 6 year old often uses every amp just finishing a trial on her 36v.

I swear by them for very young riders, you have control over their speed and can build it up gradually as the rider improves.

Some strong comments landing here for the Oset camp !

However......

The Mecatechno is the new kid on the block in the UK (and could well have the latest tricks) and so it should not be overlooked, both machines are obviously aimed at the same customer base and as such before you buy it would be wise to look at both machines. (remember the very advanced Mecatechno trials bike of the early 90's ? I was riding the Spen Valley trial this weekend and was talking to Mr PJ1 himself - Richard Thorpe who used to sponsor John Reynolds on a 'Mecatec'- he was full of fond memories and enthusiasm for the bike - so if any of that has carried over then I am sure they will be a very good machine !

I'm pretty darn sure that with the enthusiasm and experience of Caroline Sandiford (the former Montesa importer) that the Mecatechno machines and the dealer support will tick all the right boxes.

I'd certainly look at both machines and then go and enjoy your purchase !

I wonder what future 'Electric' championship will be called now ? - to accomadate both electric brands.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy trials with your kids !

Cheers

GAW

I had a brief look at these in the paddock area in scotland this year at the wtc and they do look of good build. I looked at both before deciding on oset for my 2 year old mainly due to my dealer only living 15 mins away so any problems i dont have far to travel to get it sorted, and also due to the osets being tried and tested at present, with quite a variety of custom mods and parts in discussion on here alone.

If the mecatechno turns out to be a good bike then i may decide to steer towards it when i upgrade in a few years but the oset i should be happy with once it finally arives....

On a slightly negative note, been waiting a week and a half already which i find poor delivery performance, i could have ordered something from china quicker.. Dont know if this is my local dealer or a problem with oset? What is the usual delivery time from trialsuk? My dealer said they average 5 days to be delivered to him?

Oset 12" and 16" 24v in stock now mate, still waiting for the new shipment of 36v (because we sold all they had) to arrive in the country which is expected anytime now.

We keep between 5 and 10 bikes in stock at any one time along with all spares.

Hope this helps

That's not bad for delivery. Not many carry "stock" bikes unless they are really dedicated. At this stage the OSET is a proven package and has run in some pretty wet conditions at our YG OSET cup trials without one going wrong.

I'd say for Mecatechno Caroline's track record speaks for itself providing she doesn't OD on the Juice she's selling ;-) . You have to remember that this is not the Mecatechno of old but a new company set up and using the name so they have to build their own reputation. The colour scheme's a bit suspect as well although I have been told that the "old" bikes used it.

On the other front OSET have built gradually and now have a strong set of dealers and the Electric Trials are going from strength to strength with their support.

Oset 12" and 16" 24v in stock now mate, still waiting for the new shipment of 36v (because we sold all they had) to arrive in the country which is expected anytime now.

We keep between 5 and 10 bikes in stock at any one time along with all spares.

Hope this helps

Hey, thanks for the reply. If i dont recieve one by the end of the week i shall be taking up my order with you guys. He mentioned something about the 36v being shipped together so i take it oset must be out of 12.5 too which doesnt seem likely he will get it this week

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking at both for my lads Xmas present as above going to go with the Oset 12.5 and the Mecatenco will be an option when he out grows the little Oset plus it's cheaper :)))

Would like to wish Sandifords and Oset UK all the best for the future as these little electric bike are going to play such a big part in development of the next generation of Trials riders ...

Hi,

I have been told that workers from a very well known motorcycles brand have designed an electric mini trial bike. They expect to start the production of those bikes next february.

Would that be Gas Gas ???

It always happens lets just hope Oset can keep up with the big boys after all the hard work they have done ???

I went with the Oset everything you read about them has a positive vibe and the resale prices are so good when the little fella moves up to the bigger bike ...