evo exhaust/frame/mystery rattle?- help

twinkletoes

as the title suggests my 2010 evo has a metallic vibration just above idle. very loud, sounds like exhaust vibrationg on shock/frame/ something! have stripped off various parts to investigate with no joy. only one very minor rub mark on silencer that i dont think is causing it. it is not any ancilliary such as kickstart or gear lever - i am stumped.

subrame arms are tight, airbox is tight, check pretty much everything i can think of.

i am awaiting some new o-rings incase there is play between front pipe and silencer and am also going to exhaust sealant it just incaase but i doubt this is it.

Any ideas?

as the title suggests my 2010 evo has a metallic vibration just above idle. very loud, sounds like exhaust vibrationg on shock/frame/ something! have stripped off various parts to investigate with no joy. only one very minor rub mark on silencer that i dont think is causing it. it is not any ancilliary such as kickstart or gear lever - i am stumped.

subrame arms are tight, airbox is tight, check pretty much everything i can think of.

i am awaiting some new o-rings incase there is play between front pipe and silencer and am also going to exhaust sealant it just incaase but i doubt this is it.

Any ideas?

Pinking ??

thanks for all the responses.

seems there is something rattling around inside the silencer itself.....which I cannot get to without cutting it open, typical!

least i know what it is now......

Is it an evo 4T? I have a rattle that seems to be a loose baffle on my 300 4T please reply with a fix if it is the baffle.

Thanks

Is it an evo 4T? I have a rattle that seems to be a loose baffle on my 300 4T please reply with a fix if it is the baffle.

Thanks

This has been known to happen. On my dad's 2010 300 4t, The bike has had two exhausts put on which both ended up with loose baffles. Lampkins sent a new one out, Which still ended up with the same problem, & they then sent another new one, & it has been ok since.

Give Lampkins a call, They will most likely sort you out with a new one.

Edited by BenBeta23

This has been known to happen. On my dad's 2010 300 4t, The bike has had two exhausts put on which both ended up with loose baffles. Lampkins sent a new one out, Which still ended up with the same problem, & they then sent another new one, & it has been ok since.

Give Lampkins a call, They will most likely sort you out with a new one.

Thanks for the reply was your dad's bike still in warranty when they changed the exhaust mine is out of warranty

Cheers

its the 250 2t i have

it was the exit end of the perforated tube that runs through centre of the silencer. basically it sits into a larger tube at each end and is tac welded in place. but as it is perforated the welds on that end were basically non existent, very poorly attached. i think when the removable last short piece of pipe is inserted it knocks the tac welds off.for the sake of 3 or 4 more decent tac welds it would never come away.

quite a simple fix really - stuck a chamfered bar into the pipe and brayed it a few times to widen the pipe outwards into the tube in which it sits. doesnt rattle/move now, so expecting when my new o-rings arrive and i get it back on it will be sorted.

if it rattles again i will get it re welded, it will be awkward, although not impossible and will not need the box cut open and welded back up which would be do-able but not a 10 minute job.

a new one is 183