How to balance with front wheel straight

I can balance fairly well with the front wheel turned to either side.

However, I'm working on balancing with the front wheel straight. I noticed that pushing down on the handlebar while sticking a leg out helps regain balance. Is this the right technique ? pushing down on the handlebar ?

Should I shift my weight to the side of the bike more instead of pushing down on the handlebar while raising a leg out to regain balance ? (my knees don't like this technique much though).

What have you guys found work best ?

Letting All the air out of the tyres has always worked a treat for me ;)

Practice - you can't teach balance!

Why didn't I think about that ? That's what I did when learning to balance with the front wheel turned. I'll try airing out the tires again when balancing with the front wheel straight

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same balance boat. Just learned to keep it with wheel turned, and now working on straightening it out.

Often we're getting the front wheel straight in order to prepare for the next obstacle. So I'm practicing coming out of the balanced position with wheel turned into a strait wheel.......and then getting my weight back and crouching down. After that, rev it and pop the clutch and spring up. I'm doing it on flat ground mostly and over small rocks. Seems like this will help in prep. for the bigger stuff.

So, let out or whatever it takes to regain bal. is great I'm sure, as long as you can get into a position to move ahead or launch ahead after that.

Cheers mate,

Rick