Fibreglass tank respray

gunsail1

i'm making moulds for Montesa 348 and 349 tank/seat units at the moment and have sprayed both original tanks with regular car 2 pack paint to take the mould off, any decent body repair shop should be able to cope with fibreglass bits

or are you looking for someone who sprays fibreglass gelcoat ?

Tony

i'm making moulds for Montesa 348 and 349 tank/seat units at the moment and have sprayed both original tanks with regular car 2 pack paint to take the mould off, any decent body repair shop should be able to cope with fibreglass bits

or are you looking for someone who sprays fibreglass gelcoat ?

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony. No not gelcoat just a paint sprayer with a good reputation

I know a quality sprayer in Liphook , Hants. Hes a motor cycle nut as well.

He doesnt do airbrush work , but standard paint jobs,metallics ,pearls ,etc

Have you made sure you have thoroughly sealed the tank internally as your paint job will be ruined by vapour coming through the fibreglass and bubbling up the paint.Dont think i wont happen.Saw a lovely Bultaco the other day with beautiful tank paintwork with huge blister in the middle - gutted.

I have had experience of this bubbling in both fiberglass and plastic tanks.Its especially worse these days due to the increased ethenol found in petrol.

From experience i wouldnt consider painting without sealing first.

Edited by gasgas249uk

Try contacting Marky Boy on here or call H&D Racing(banner ads here).

You may get by with external sealer and 2K primer if the tank is clean, not sure as I have not tried it lately.

I hope tonybroad is not using the poly resins, as they are useless with the alcohol fuel. Modern epoxy resins should be better, buy I have not studied this. As far as I know there are not fuel permeability issues with the epoxy resins, but throw in the alcohol and that is another problem. :rolleyes:

Try contacting Marky Boy on here or call H&D Racing(banner ads here).

You may get by with external sealer and 2K primer if the tank is clean, not sure as I have not tried it lately.

I hope tonybroad is not using the poly resins, as they are useless with the alcohol fuel. Modern epoxy resins should be better, buy I have not studied this. As far as I know there are not fuel permeability issues with the epoxy resins, but throw in the alcohol and that is another problem. :rolleyes:

Copemech Its a suggestion ,but its closing the gate after the horse has bolted. If the vapours through the f/glass ,external sealer wont stop it , unless its thick and neither will 2k anything.Petrol will bubble 2k easy.

If there was any external sealer that was worth its salt, it would be so thick the preperation after it was applied to make it look half decent ,would be horrific.

I would only consider a thick internal sealer and stop the petrol even touching the porous f/glass.Ive had huge problems with this recently and believe im right on the money with my advice

Thanks for the responses. Tank not been delivered yet but certainly intend to seal internally before painting. My current tank was sealed with Petseal prior to me buying the bike. I always drain the fuel between rides but there is some fuel seepage from the base. It's been suggested I use Caswells on my new tank. Any one any experience with these sorts of products ie what's good , are they easy to use etc