Sherco ST290 2011 opinions?

tricks

Having just jumped ship from my ole Scorpa SY [i'm missing it already] I'm now in the market for a new[ish] bike and I quite fancy the Sherco, but everything i've read about them on here has given me mixed feelings, what with them cutting out, fuel line and carb problems etc.. I even read one story about some guy who changed everything on his, from the Carb to suspension, and he still wasn't happy!!.. So are they to be avoided due to being a bad bike? Or are these problems brought on through bad maintenance and clueless people tinkering?? :blink:

Soooo, i'm hoping that the nice folk on here who have had them for a while now can tell me what they think of them, all the teething problems etc... I want to know what it's like to own one for the past 12months [or however long they have been out for] from the people that ride them week in week out :thumbup:

Oh yeah - I'm not interested in the ''i bought one and couldn't get on with it because it didn't handle like my old Beta..'' stories :shutup:. .. Just the maintenance and running problems please.. help a potential buyer B)

Cheers Tricks

Edited by tricks

Having just jumped ship from my ole Scorpa SY [i'm missing it already] I'm now in the market for a new[ish] bike and I quite fancy the Sherco, but everything i've read about them on here has given me mixed feelings, what with them cutting out, fuel line and carb problems etc.. I even read one story about some guy who changed everything on his, from the Carb to suspension, and he still wasn't happy!!.. So are they to be avoided due to being a bad bike? Or are these problems brought on through bad maintenance and clueless people tinkering?? :blink:

Soooo, i'm hoping that the nice folk on here who have had them for a while now can tell me what they think of them, all the teething problems etc... I want to know what it's like to own one for the past 12months [or however long they have been out for] from the people that ride them week in week out :thumbup:

Oh yeah - I'm not interested in the ''i bought one and couldn't get on with it because it didn't handle like my old Beta..'' stories :shutup:. .. Just the maintenance and running problems please.. help a potential buyer B)

Cheers Tricks

Kinda like going from a Nag to a Race Horse! We shall see what responses you get. I don't own an '11 but I may be in line for a '12. Still on the '07, but have tracked these things fo a while.

The Scorpa SY is a sturdy mount, and gentile to ride. A Sherco 2.9 tends to be more aggressive. The VHST carb on the 2.9 can be a pain it seems, but the motors are solid, they are easier to work on than a Scorps and that helps.

I still think the 250 is easier to ride for the average fellow. Doubt you will find the rear suspension as plush as the Scorps, but getting back to my old addage, you just gotts ride what you brung! It is a fine bike and well above the ability of most riders. :thumbup:

I bought a 2011 st 250 from new. Despite applying 40 odd years of trials experience a Doctorate in Mech eng. with a pretty tidy workshop it compared to ga Gas & Beta is difficult to ride. It is however very easy to work on, the master cylinders and thus the clutch & brakes are spot on, changing air filter is a snap, the basic maechanical parts of the bike stay put together. The rear suspension /shock absorber is crap & it'll cost you hundreds od pounds to try to sort it out,, the footrest bracket angle is 22deg. compared to most others at 30 deg so you will find footrest position a bit different.. I've sorted this on mine but then I'm a footrest nutter. for me personally the steering wasn't too clever either and I have made top yoke to suit me.

Put another way ; my bike "shed " a rear tyre yesterday (not for the first time but thats another story) I then was encouraged by friends to finish using thier bikes my missuses 200 evo... so easy to ride ..totally connected to rider & ground... my eyes started to open.... then a good friend let me finish last few sections on a 300 gasser...it was going where I wanted to go with me only having to think about it fantastic machine after 3 sections on this strange to me bike I realised my trials life is too short to continue struggling with the sherco. I guess the Sherco is love it or hate it bike.

There's not a great deal wrong with the 2011 bike. The main issue was the carb and it runs a touch rich facing downhill but it's not a problem. I've had a 10,11 and now I've got a 12 bike, the trouble is that if you try a 12 bike it's miles better than an 11 bike so it's a difficult decision. Might be worth looking around if there's any 12 bikes about on the classifieds or ex demo kind of things as you would get a bargain if it's within your price range. If not then aslong as the 11 is clean you won't go far wrong.

Kinda like going from a Nag to a Race Horse! We shall see what responses you get. I don't own an '11 but I may be in line for a '12. Still on the '07, but have tracked these things fo a while.

The Scorpa SY is a sturdy mount, and gentile to ride. A Sherco 2.9 tends to be more aggressive. The VHST carb on the 2.9 can be a pain it seems, but the motors are solid, they are easier to work on than a Scorps and that helps.

I still think the 250 is easier to ride for the average fellow. Doubt you will find the rear suspension as plush as the Scorps, but getting back to my old addage, you just gotts ride what you brung! It is a fine bike and well above the ability of most riders. :thumbup:

Yeah i'm a great believer in 'ya ride what ya brung' too :thumbup: Adapt and over come is my moto!!.. well.. 'who's round is it' is more my moto but thats another story ;)

To be honest the Scorpa was great.. BUT.. as my trial riding has progressed i found it a little too tame. I had to really rev it hard to get the most out of it, this got abit tiresome when all day mountain riding - Both my riding mates have earlier 290's and i found them alot easier to ride in most conditions [i'm a big'ish fella, 6ft 15.5st!!.. so the extra poke of the 290cc helps] Also the Scorpa never had a great rear brake which got worse when hot, i always put this down to the flimsy rear brake pipe running right next to the exhaust box, i tried heat wrap [which helped] but the brake was still poo, even after countless bleeding. And to get at the carb quickly was a pain in the knuckle. But it was still great, and i havn't wrote off the option of a new sherco powered one yet.

I'm a little concerned about the Sherco's rear suspension, if it's like you all say less plush than the scorpa!! I found the Scorpa's rear very un-responsive, but it was an 03 bike and could have done with a shock rebuild. Is there a stronger spring option out there for the new Sherco? And what upgrade rear shock unit options are there [if any]..

Chewy, it sounds like you've changed.. well everything :D I like the Beta's and i've ridden the 200 evo [amazing bike] but sadly the left kick throws my back out - a Gasser is also an option for me but i'd have to ride one first.

Tricky Dicky, I'd love a 2012 model, I've seen a few S/H already but sadly they are just outside my budget. If the 011 has no major issues other than different riding position and a fussy Carb i'm happy to go for one, If they run great after a 'good set up' then thats fine by me - I'm more concerened about them packing in on a all dayer up a Welsh mountain.. due to faulty electrics or a dodgy fuel pump etc..

Thanks all for the input so far, keep it coming :thumbup:

I'd avoid the 2011 bike. It was still a work in progress. The 2012 is very different but I get the feeling it will be a curates egg. The main problem on the 2011 was the fuel path. It just does not seem to pick up fuel correctly.

Cheers Telecat, So how long did you own the 2011 for?. Does the fueling problem effect all mountain/club man style riding [i'm no expert rider] so the bike won't be going up vertical cliff faces :P and did you fix the problem?

Also what has Sherco done to the 2012 model to rectify the fueling issue? Have other owners suffered with the same issues on the 2011?

You won't have any problem with it breaking down. It's dead easy to sort the problem when facing downhill, it's only float adjustment and maybe a different pilot jet at worst! The 2012 bike has completely different suspension, new ignition, keihin carb, new airbox- basically a different bike and is well worth the extra

Cheers Telecat, So how long did you own the 2011 for?. Does the fueling problem effect all mountain/club man style riding [i'm no expert rider] so the bike won't be going up vertical cliff faces :P and did you fix the problem?

Also what has Sherco done to the 2012 model to rectify the fueling issue? Have other owners suffered with the same issues on the 2011?

The Bike was a friends who had two and his Dad basically brought up the Fuel flow issues as he is in the "trade". The bike's he had would not run over 30 mph on the road and tended to "die" enough when putting on throttle so he just lost all faith in them. I believe one of them was in bits throughout the SSDT servicing and despite the attentions of MRS and Sherco never ran right. In the end they just got rid of them. The improvements seem to be along the lines of the Kehin Carb mounted in a better position. My lad tried it and was quite impressed. Not impressed enough to consider buying one first mind. It's a work in progress which like the early GasGas Pro's is getting better as they go. When they reach the "tipping" point where the development pays off they will be worth getting.

Not to old at all, I have been watching that bike John, It's a Cabestany Rep isn't it?

I actually preffer the fuel filler on the 2010 bikes, you know better than anyone about the mud/crap/coal muck that gets everywhere where we ride.

I've done a good bit of research on the 011 290 today, alot of people are very happy with them [some aren't] but i find this is the case with every bike - just look at the people who slate KTM's off, i've ridden them for a decade and never had one go tits up :ph34r:

I think if i purchase one a Ohlins is probably that right way to go with my weight, and maybe an uprated Carb [if i find the standard one poop] I've seen two today approx

Right now sitting in my shop is a 2011 Sherco 2.9, 2012 Sherco 2.5 and a 2011 Beta EVO 250. I've spent a good amount of time on each. I've read all of Chewy's posts and I must say I totally disagree with his assessment of the Sherco's handling. I find the Sherco to be a very forgiving handling wise. You can get away with not always being perfect on the bike. On the Beta, it does turn quicker/sharper, but you better be ready for it or it'll knife in on you. I love the handling of both bikes, they're just very different!

On the 2011, once the float height is correct you should have no issue's. They're good bikes! The rear shock is for sure better than your 2003 Scorpa!

I also had the opportunity to ride a 2011 Scorpa 280 in a national. That bike worked very well.Suspension and handling where great and the older Sherco motor runs very strong with the Scorpa exhaust and air box design! It's a totally new Scorpa with a few of the good old Scorpa traits left in.

Reading forums about bikes can make your head spin. You read enough and every bike can seem like it has all kinds of problems! My experience with bikes is often much different from what I read. Take it all with a grain of salt.

I've got the 2011 250.

I've had no problems at all with it and enjoy riding it very much.

if i could change one thing it would only be where the fuel filler is!!

other than that i'd buy the same again if i had my time over.

never had any of the carb issues mentioned, and thought the rear shock was great up until reading the above.

good luck with what ever you decide to do.

ATB Si