349 stuck in first gear

diggers1050

Hi, new member and first post, so here goes.

Just purchased a 1981 MH349. Bit scruffy and didn't want to start but it was a cheap bike to see if I could do this trial thing. I would guess it hasn't been used for a couple of years.

Got it running OK. New plug, fuel and a minor carb refurb. Was running it up and down my quiet steep drive to check out the fueling, still not sure that it is setup right, but after a couple of hours of stopping and starting it's now stuck in first gear.

Whatever I do it feels like the gear change lever is not doing anything.

Any idea what to do?

I don't know if the oil is any good. Is it worth changing that first? I see there is two filler screws (cluth and gearbox?), do I need to refresh both seperatly. pointer on volume and type would be appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Hi, new member and first post, so here goes.

Just purchased a 1981 MH349. Bit scruffy and didn't want to start but it was a cheap bike to see if I could do this trial thing. I would guess it hasn't been used for a couple of years.

Got it running OK. New plug, fuel and a minor carb refurb. Was running it up and down my quiet steep drive to check out the fueling, still not sure that it is setup right, but after a couple of hours of stopping and starting it's now stuck in first gear.

Whatever I do it feels like the gear change lever is not doing anything.

Any idea what to do?

I don't know if the oil is any good. Is it worth changing that first? I see there is two filler screws (cluth and gearbox?), do I need to refresh both seperatly. pointer on volume and type would be appricated.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Inside the primary drive casing (left hand side of the engine as you sit on the bike) there is a mechanism that the gear pedal operates. This is the 'ratchet' type mechanism that turns the gear box selector drum. They are robust but it may have seized or become a bit sticky if the oil is very old. You dont need an engine strip, just take off the primary drive casing and give it a clean. While you're at it, you can try selecting the gears and see if the selector drum is turning to select - if it is, you may have a gearbox problem which will require a full strip.

Hope you get it sorted.

cheers Stu

• Like 1

Thanks Stu.

I drained the oil from both clutch and gearbox. There was almost none in there and the gear oil was very brown with water. I managed to get it working again by giving the end of the gear selector shaft a couple of medium force whacks with a rubber mallet. Refilled with new oil and started it up, but it very quicky stopped selecting gears again.

I drain again and have a look at what you recommend.

Quick update. Stu was spot on with the area of the problem. After takingh the cover off I could see the 4 bolts holding the gear change mechanisum were almost falling out. I took it apart and but it didn't really neeed cleaning. Reassembled and put some locktight on the bolts. All working again now EXCEPT I seem to be only getting first, neutal or second. Nothing higher. Not too worried about that today as I want to have a go in a local trial with a mate tomorrow so first will do for me.

I'll take it apart next week and see if I can fix that.

Thanks Stu !

Edited by diggers1050

Sounds like you haven't lined up the ratchet mechanism correctly when you put it back together. There are marks on the ratchet and selector drum spline to line up with the gearbox in neutral. If they aren't the selector won't travel far enough to select the upper gears. Below are a couple of pictures to illustrate, they're from the 330 I think but the principle/arrangement is the same. The star shaped wheel that holds the selctor in it's selected position also needs to be fitted correctly.

It's only a 10 minute job - being stuck with 2nd as your highest gear will be a real pain even in a closed circuit trial.

post-71-0-03704700-1323515385.jpg

Sounds like you haven't lined up the ratchet mechanism correctly when you put it back together. There are marks on the ratchet and selector drum spline to line up with the gearbox in neutral. If they aren't the selector won't travel far enough to select the upper gears. Below are a couple of pictures to illustrate, they're from the 330 I think but the principle/arrangement is the same. The star shaped wheel that holds the selctor in it's selected position also needs to be fitted correctly.

It's only a 10 minute job - being stuck with 2nd as your highest gear will be a real pain even in a closed circuit trial.

Also further to Woodys post - there is an eccentric adjuster that can be played with to make sure you get all the gears. Its shown on Woodys picture, but the adjuster isn't fitted - its should be in the steel plate which is shown near the right side of the picture. This is held in position by a 6mm nut - back off the nut, rotate the eccentric adjuster a bit and then nip up the 6mm nut. Try for all gears, repeat until it works.

cheers

Stu

• 7 years later...