Sprite Goldfinger

marthill92

Hi Guys,

Basically im a total newbie to twinshock bikes, i have recently purchased a Sprite Goldfinger. i was hoping that someone somewhere could give me some information about the bike as theres not much information on the internet. Any information will be helpful

Thanks Martyn

Dont think I can recall seeing one of those before.The only pictures and info I can find is in the Sprite section of Don Morleys book - Classic British Two Stroke Trials Bikes. The ISBN # is 0-85045-745-9.

May be worth finding a copy,there isnt that much on your bike,but it explains how they got to start using Sachs engines etc.

Welcome to the forum by the way - and I hope you enjoy the Sprite.

Hi jon

thanks for the reply :-)

i have only found one more sprite goldfinger on the internet and i think it could even be my one without the name on the tank.

im going to take it to bits and have a restore. any idea where i can pick up sprite parts etc? thank you

Hello Martyn, Don't dismantle it just yet! If you can get to the Telford Off Road show on 4/5th February, the Sprite marque is being celebrated! Frank Hipkin, founder of the firm, will be there.A good collection of Sprites should be on display. And Show Organiser Alan Wright is in fact hoping someone will contact him who has a Goldfinger model to bring along, in fairly original condition.I should point out that,according to the Classic and Twin Shock column in TMX News, the model originally had a gold finish and a "sunburst" style head. Regards, Al

Edited by Hammertight

Both i and another local lad Pete Carson ran Sprite Goldfingers. Petes had the Sachs big fin alloy engine and mine had the Zundap engine. They were available with bothe engines but i dont think they were available with the iron barrel Sachs. The tanks were all metalflake gold in the resin coat not painted.

Good luck with it i always wondered what happened to all the 125 sprites that used to be around there were loads but you never see them now.

can i just ask why both of you think your bikes are Goldfingers not just std 125 sachs engined Sprites because they just look like the std ones to me? goldfingers had the gold metalflake firreglass tanks gold painted frames and gold conical hubs err and yours dont. Nice bikes all the same and great to see them again i just wish i saw more being ridden in anger but why do you think they are Glodfingers?

can i just ask why both of you think your bikes are Goldfingers not just std 125 sachs engined Sprites

Well..........when I purchased mine it was not even advertised as a Sprite. In searching the net to find info on it this site http://www.thetwinshockshop.co.uk/bikes.php

had the bike Martyn now has, advertised as a Sprite Goldfinger, and who was I to question a company that has that many bikes of the caliber they have.

When I first posted up here about mine in this thread http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37940-picked-up-a-real-cream-puff-yesterday/

It was pointed out what a Goldfinger was and was not.

As far as this thread goes I was just replying to a Guy who has the same bike as me and did not call it a Goldfinger and since I am not a Sprite guru I am not the one to tell what his bike is or is not, but I did make note that mine's tank did not ever appear to have been gold.

Hi kanur,

i seen.your bike on the internet, i even though it could have been mine.

when the bike was sold to me it was described as a goldfinger from the twinshockshop.

have you done any work to your bike if so could you.upload new photos

thanks martyn

Martyn,

At this point all I have done is give it a good cleaning and I have a new set of alloy mudgaurds for it. Although they are very simple mine is missing a few key parts that yours still has.

The exhaust was all cobbled up and completely rotten. I've had a lot of Sachs stuff so I have a head pipe and a Wassell muffler I can make work.

I Believe my airbox is not stock as I have came across other pictures that show one like yours. I'll probably just put a pod or clamp on filter on it.

The harder part, and you may be able to help here, is that the forks have been replaced with ones from a Honda TL 125. Someone made some bushings to make the forks fit the trees. I'm not sure what forks would have been on it. Jap forks on the little Sprite is just wrong.

I've got a couple projects going on now so not sure when I'll start this one in earnest but plan to do as close to correct as possible while still being a rider.

Martyn,

At this point all I have done is give it a good cleaning and I have a new set of alloy mudgaurds for it. Although they are very simple mine is missing a few key parts that yours still has.

The exhaust was all cobbled up and completely rotten. I've had a lot of Sachs stuff so I have a head pipe and a Wassell muffler I can make work.

I Believe my airbox is not stock as I have came across other pictures that show one like yours. I'll probably just put a pod or clamp on filter on it.

The harder part, and you may be able to help here, is that the forks have been replaced with ones from a Honda TL 125. Someone made some bushings to make the forks fit the trees. I'm not sure what forks would have been on it. Jap forks on the little Sprite is just wrong.

I've got a couple projects going on now so not sure when I'll start this one in earnest but plan to do as close to correct as possible while still being a rider.

forks should be REH same make as the hubs. Sorry if i appeared to be having a go just wondered why the bikes were described as goldfingers when it's doubtful that they are. Now i know. Didnt mean to infer anything. It irks me when people seem to think a TY250 twinshock is a majesty which most never will be. good luck with the restoration. The std sprite is still a good bike for it's day that got a lot of people into trials and it's great to see at least two surviving examples still running. :thumbup:

forks should be REH same make as the hubs. Sorry if i appeared to be having a go just wondered why the bikes were described as goldfingers when it's doubtful that they are. Now i know. Didnt mean to infer anything. It irks me when people seem to think a TY250 twinshock is a majesty which most never will be. good luck with the restoration. The std sprite is still a good bike for it's day that got a lot of people into trials and it's great to see at least two surviving examples still running. :thumbup:

No problems here, thanks for the added info :icon_salut: The amount of first hand knowledge about vintage trials bikes on this site is amazing