possible engine problem?

slicks75

just bought a 2011 gasser250 (i am the 2nd owner now)and changed the oil as always with new bike for peace of mind and found that both the filler plug and sump plug had alot of thin metal fillings on the magnetic tips of both plugs so i cleaned them off and put fresh oil in.

i done my 1st trial on it sunday just gone and when i came home and cleaned the bike i checked the filler plug and yes....more iron fillings!!!

i've listened to my mates engine and when you pull the clutch in and rev the bike it sounds good and clean but with mine i can hear a slight whine noise( sounds like the ram air noise you get from a road bike)????

i got told that this could either be the primary gear set or the kickstart cog/shaft????

is this a common factor with these bikes????

also it's only about 8-9months old but would or should this still be covered under gas gas warranty????

Any help would be appreciated

apart from that the bike is really good, but i would rather get this sorted so i am not spending time off the bike and loads of money getting it stripped and repaired....

Thanks

Likely to be kick start gear related chipped teeth on the pawl and its gear are very common, about a 100 quid in parts quite fiddly to do but OK if you are confident with the spanners. The whirring you hear will develop into a rumble which sounds terrible but disappears once the pawl and gear are changed, google it I think that Jim chap in USA has a video on youtube too. Can't say whether it is covered under warrantee you'd like to think so but I doubt it, try it and see.

yeah thanks for that boys,

gonna leave it in garage untill i get hold of GasGasUK tomorrow and see what they say about it and see if its covered under warranty???? hope so!! as i don't fancy having a huge repair bill and not being able to get out on it...

yeah you would think that beings it's a new bike(well few months old) that GasGas would have sorted this issue( if it is a common fault!!!!) if there has been a problem with the kickstart gear related chipped teeth on the pawl wouldn't you ?????

i'll post the response i get from GasGas tomorrow just incase anyone else has this issue or feel free to post a reply as the more common it is the better chance of getting this issue resolved.

thanks

Edited by slicks75

Hope this doesn't appear to be thread hijacking, but it raises a few issues for me.

I understand there are thousands of trials bikes out there, and a few are bound to go wrong.

Are some more prone to faults than others?

Or are some bikes not looked after as well as they should?

If someone invests a small fortune in a nearly new bike, you wouldn't expect metal shavings to be accumulating in the oil...?

Is there a set of reliability scores for the different bikes available, or are they all much of a muchness when it comes to reliability? I hear the Monts are reliable, but expensive... How do the others compare?

I have an interest. Although I don't ride currently, I am considering a low key return (after a number of years) as soon as the new house is sorted... :hl:

Firstly..Like i said that i have only picked up the bike recently (last wk'end)and only rode it once so in regards to the kicking of the bike i think this was the issue with the previous owner hence the damage already caused before i got it,as it was slipping and not engageing with the cogs

Secondly.... I gotta say that i spoke with Gas Gas UK and they were very helpfull about this issue as the bike comes with a 3month warranty then a further 3months on the parts which they were quite happy to uphold, UNFORTUNATLEY the bike was registered in Jan/Feb this yr so just outside the required timing to get this done through the warranty,

So gonna get the parts and get it repaired so i get peace of mind and hopefully not cause anymore damage to the engine...

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Firstly..Like i said that i have only picked up the bike recently (last wk'end)and only rode it once so in regards to the kicking of the bike i think this was the issue with the previous owner hence the damage already caused before i got it,as it was slipping and not engageing with the cogs

Secondly.... I gotta say that i spoke with Gas Gas UK and they were very helpfull about this issue as the bike comes with a 3month warranty then a further 3months on the parts which they were quite happy to uphold, UNFORTUNATLEY the bike was registered in Jan/Feb this yr so just outside the required timing to get this done through the warranty,

So gonna get the parts and get it repaired so i get peace of mind and hopefully not cause anymore damage to the engine...

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Good grief , that old cherry.

• 2 weeks later...

Three Months!!! :rotfl:

Are they so fickle these bikes that the warranty only extends for three months... :huh:

Some cars have a lifetime warranty or 100,000 miles...

That kickstart ratchet pawl sounds like a design flaw to me.

The later bikes have a different spiral on the pawl shaft which is meant to engage the pawl and gear sooner, might be better but apparently not a complete fix.I agree, thousands of bikes have kick starters which don't appear to be as troublesome as the GG one.