Carb for M80

Johnny

I'm eager to enter my first trial on the M80 I have rebuilt but what's putting me off is the fact that it's not easy to start. I don't want to turn up and not be able to start it and end up wasting time and money, not to mention the embarassment factor.

It's had new seals, gaskets etc and the timing is accurate. The plug is getting wet ( I sometimes wonder if I am flooding it too much) and there is a decent spark. Occasionally it will start first kick but more often that not it either takes many many kicks or it just won't start. Once its warm it starts easily.

It's got the original Amal 627 carb and I've cleaned the pilot jet etc. I am considering buying a new Amal 626. Is it worth fitting it with the air/choke slide? Will this make it easier to start? Or I am barking up the wrong tree?

I'd rather not muck about fitting a different type of carb and I don't want to waste my money (Yorkshireman!)

What do you reckon guys?

Hi

Contact Steve @ motocarb and advise if you need an adaptor(two bolt flange to jubilee clip spigot).

He will supply a ready jetted Mikuni to suit your engine.

All you will need to do is play aroung with the Needle.

Raise for richer mixture, lower for leaner mixture.

Two years ago Sammy Miller told me to get rid of the Amal as "Mikuni's are bullet proof", he should know!

Hope this helps, but bear in mind other issues could be could also affect starting.

Kind regards

Martin

I fitted a Mikuni to my model 80 when I fully restored it, the difference it made to the bike was amazing. The rubber should still fit not sure about the cable.

Are you by any chance the guy with the M80 that was in Classic Dirtbike Mag a few years ago? I had a re-read of the article last night. Your bike does look good. Mine's not quite that good - I've still got to respray the tank/seat unit but I'm going to leave that for now because I want to ride it and see how I get on with it.

Anyway back to the carb. Do I need to make sure that I buy a genuine Mikuni? Are there some repro ones like with the Amals?

Yes guilty that was my bike in classic dirt bike issue 1, It wasn't finished then it looked a lot better later on. Anyway back to the carb. Yes you are better buying genuine mikuni, because the quality of some of the copies cant be guaranteed, like triplex has said just ring somebody like allens performance etc and tell them what bike its for you wont be the first to have asked.

What about an Oko carb?

http://www.twnclub.ch/classic_trial_files/patrick%20BultoM49_files/M49_tuning.htm

runs better than the Amal, starts easily

Happy Xmas

Pat

I had a 28mm OKO fitted to an M92. I think the jets were very similar to those you have in your M49. It worked well but I was able to use the original air hose from the airbox.

To mount the carb, I used an inlet manifold from a later 250 model which uses the rubber mounting, not bolt on.

I also have one fitted to my 199b which works well too.