RTL250 engine transplant

xtzoutback

I've just made a successful transplant of a 1985 RTL250 engine into my standard 1983 TLR200 frame. The carb to cylinder manifold is from the TLR200. The jetting is smaller than in the RTL although I haven't had chance to play with it yet so this will possibly change anyway.

Runs great, no problem mechanically except the RTL kickstarter fouls on the frame and does not allow the shaft to rotate.

I have had a surf around and can see a few similar engine transplants. In almost all the cases that I can see, the original TLR200 case is used with what looks like a TLR200 lever. The RTL doesn't run a decompressor.

The spline on the RTL shaft is much more course than a TLR and it bolts on directly into the shaft rather than using a pinch bolt.

Can anyone advise what the options may be to get a suitable lever in place.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by xtzoutback

If you want to retain the RTL clutch cover and kickstart, as was mentioned above trim back the frame around the swingarm pivot and also take a little off the kickstart itself. It will then clear the frame. You don't even notice that the frame is trimmed back unless you look for it.

If you fit the TLR cover you will have to fit the TLR kicksart mechanism and kickstart also (as the TLR and RTL kickstarts have different splines - the RTL is unique as far as I know) The reason for this is that the TLR case is wider and the shaft is longer, therefore the kickstart sits outside of the frame and doesn't rub against it.

Hey xtzoutback,

Don't want to be picky , but your thread say's successful fitment of RTL engine. If it was successful why can't you kick start it?

Not wanting to finish there. But I would love to see an original RTL250 one day,let alone someone like you that strips one apart willy nilly. I guess your going to hack away a good TLR200 frame and destroy the original RTL muffler too?

Have fun with that project.

Cheers

brt650

P.S. If anyone wants to put up some money ,I'm willing to track xtzoutback down and make him apologise for what he is doing.

Hey xtzoutback,

Don't want to be picky , but your thread say's successful fitment of RTL engine. If it was successful why can't you kick start it?

Not wanting to finish there. But I would love to see an original RTL250 one day,let alone someone like you that strips one apart willy nilly. I guess your going to hack away a good TLR200 frame and destroy the original RTL muffler too?

Have fun with that project.

Cheers

brt650

P.S. If anyone wants to put up some money ,I'm willing to track xtzoutback down and make him apologise for what he is doing.

Brian sorry to change tack a bit here but your mother looks better every time I see her (and way better-looking than a standard RTL250)

Just been doing this very job today!

I didn't fancy the change of clutch case and shaft as this makes my 200 engine incomplete for resale, and I beleive it's an engine split to change the kickstart shaft. So I've done the following;

Careful trimming of the frame next to the swinging arm, and shaved a bit off the top of the kickstart pivot top and and the job's a good 'un! New brake lever made today, all fitting behind the frame. I had to start the new lever by welding it to the arm itself that pulls the cable. I removed all the old lever from its pivot on the outside of the frame, so that's awaiting a tidy up in the lathe. Then using some flat bar, I've made up a new lever from scratch, but using the foot pedal itself welded on the flat bar.

Doesn't sound very clear, but I could email pics to someone who can put them on here, as I'm too dim.

Also be careful if you need to source a kickstart for an RTL, as there are different spline patterns for older and newer models. I have 2 RTL engines with different kickstart splines!

Best of luck!

Bill.

Edited by bourne

Brian sorry to change tack a bit here but your mother looks better every time I see her (and way better-looking than a standard RTL250)

Hello David,

I'll pass those comments onto mum. She will be most pleased.

If it's al-right with you I'll give her your e-mail address. But please note that particular photo was taken in 1972.

So she may have changed a little.

Cheers mate.

Brian

P.S. Love to have you as my step father.Though I am allergic to Yamaha's.

Hello David,

I'll pass those comments onto mum. She will be most pleased.

If it's al-right with you I'll give her your e-mail address. But please note that particular photo was taken in 1972.

So she may have changed a little.

Cheers mate.

Brian

P.S. Love to have you as my step father.Though I am allergic to Yamaha's.

[/quote)

No probs with the in-laws thing. I would love to have you as a son-in-law, and your allergy should be fine when I come down there for my 2012 southern pilgrimage because I plan on bringing a Bultaco to ride (Ross Brown and I are part of Team M49)

Brian can you have a quiet word in your Mum's ear and mention that I am sick of Bacon and Eggs for breakfast, got to look after the heart you know. Anyway I thought I would give you an update on my 300 gasgas pro motor into my Bultaco 199a conversion. The kickstart doesn't foul the frame anymore as I converted it to left side.I intend running a bing carbie on it so people don't notice the conversion.

Cheers Greg

Edited by sherpa325

Brian can you have a quiet word in your Mum's ear and mention that I am sick of Bacon and Eggs for breakfast, got to look after the heart you know. Anyway I thought I would give you an update on my 300 gasgas pro motor into my Bultaco 199a conversion. The kickstart doesn't foul the frame anymore as I converted it to left side.I intend running a bing carbie on it so people don't notice the conversion.

Cheers Greg

Wow Greg thats exactly what I was planning to do with my 198 for the next twinshock masters, but I haven't worked out where to hide the radiator. Can you post pics please?

Thanks

David