Pre 1960 Historic Vehicles

stickinthemud

As many readers of Old Bike Mart may have seen, there is a proposal from the EU to drop the need for MoT tests for vehicles registered prior to the 1st Jan 1960.

The Federation of Historic Vehicle Clubs are one of the consultees and have a questionaire on line to see what people feel about the proposal.

Visit the FBHVC website or the survey on this webpage to cast your vote before the 10th Jan.

It will be one less job each year for riders of vehicles that qualify.

Something good to come out of an EU Directive? That will make a change!

i ve completed the questionaire and i would have misgivings about this if the mot testing of older vehicles had any value.. with my 1927 car.. no brake lights no seat belts no rear brakes it sailed through each year as even with the testers guidance the poor guys dont have any experience of cars that age. with my pre 65 bikes they go through on a nod

frankly im amazed that the govt hasnt reviewed the free road fund licence for older vehicles.. free is good but realistically other people are subsidising it so i think we should pay a realistic admin fee of say 25 quid to maintain the registration and pay for discs etc..

after all older vehicles pollute more and frankly if you can afford a classic vehicle 25 quid isnt going to sink the ship.. some spend twice that on cleaning products!!

Edited by totalshell

Those who have a classic vehicle with a valuable registration number may be less pleased with the changes.Part of the mechanism to transfer a registration number is that the vehicle must have a valid mot.

Nice for those who dont own one,or disapprove of the practice,but not for those who have paid extra for a vehicle on the basis that its registration has a value.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,I disagree.A different pair of eyes looking over a vehicle once a year has to be a good thing,for my/your and the general publics safety.

The tax exempt thing is what I really appreciate.

There are already classic trucks driving round without MOT's, I guy I know who has an old Bedford, an RL I think, I think it's 3 ton and that doesn't have an MOT, I don't think a bike would do much damage in comparison...

Those who have a classic vehicle with a valuable registration number may be less pleased with the changes.Part of the mechanism to transfer a registration number is that the vehicle must have a valid mot.

Nice for those who dont own one,or disapprove of the practice,but not for those who have paid extra for a vehicle on the basis that its registration has a value.

It is also a requirement to have tax, which still isn't a problem for pre-73, I sure they'd come up with something so that you can still transfer, e.g. a special MOT exemption certificate or something along those lines.

the testers guidance the poor guys dont have any experience of cars that age.

I had a similar experience with an old Landy, I have a (security) habit of leaving the gearbox in 3 neutrals (when parked on the flat), so as to help prevent some pikey from trying to pinch it and I dropped it off for an MOT and it appears to even be mechanic proof! They called me up for instructions of how to get it moving, it did make me chuckle!