montesa 4rt

slack

Hi Guys & a happy new year to you all,Here goes i am posting this topic for my friend again as he is still having the same problems.The bike runs for approx 30mins then shuts its self down to tick over & half throttle.He has just had the bike to a well known bike mechanic & friend & had the following done. A new injector,fuel pump stripped & cleaned,tappets reset & plugged into computer to find the fault.But still has an issue.He's checked his manuel & it is saying check the TP VALVE but he does not know where to find it on the bike. Any one with any ideas it would be appreaciated. THANKS.

Hi Guys & a happy new year to you all,Here goes i am posting this topic for my friend again as he is still having the same problems.The bike runs for approx 30mins then shuts its self down to tick over & half throttle.He has just had the bike to a well known bike mechanic & friend & had the following done. A new injector,fuel pump stripped & cleaned,tappets reset & plugged into computer to find the fault.But still has an issue.He's checked his manuel & it is saying check the TP VALVE but he does not know where to find it on the bike. Any one with any ideas it would be appreaciated. THANKS.

Hi

It could mean throttle position sensor ?

http://www.trialaction.dk/Portals/0/downloads/COTA_4RT_manual.pdf

Not sure if that helps

Cheers

Michael

Throttle sensor is built into the bike's ECU and is therefore not available for any measurement of this. If you want to measure the TPS, you must remove the ecu from the throttle body and even then it is not advisable to separate the ECU, because tps sensor located on ECU's mother board.

If you are sure that it is the tps sensor is faulty - it is my opinion the only way to solve your problem, is to initially borrow a known good ecu (throttlebody and ecu) from a friend. The outcome of this will determine future steps to be taken.

Regards

Honda Freak

cant help much other than when i had problems with mine recently, spoke to Pidcocks who were helpfull but basically said that they fault find by swapping parts one by one , which is what I did , borrowing a mates bike to find out my throttle body had clapped.These 4rts are not the easiest bikes to find faults on.

Still sounds like fuel pump. Only plays up when hot. - about 30mins. Will then just not rev out at higher rpm. Bit like a dirty carb/blocked main jet. Park bike up and let cool and is fine again until warms up. Will keep running but poor at top end.

I am not aware of anybody being able to clean/repair the pumps. You can clean filter etc but made no difference to mine.

See if you can swap a tank assembly with somebody - only a 5 min swap.

Would try this first then a maybe swap throttle bodies. Second hand Non PTB are quiet common and cheaper than a fuel pump.

If anybody has had any joy getting fuel pumps repaired would be intetsted as got my faulty one still lying under the bench.

Only aware of early 05/06 bikes having pump problems unless anybody knows different.

Best of luck

Still sounds like fuel pump. Only plays up when hot. - about 30mins. Will then just not rev out at higher rpm. Bit like a dirty carb/blocked main jet. Park bike up and let cool and is fine again until warms up. Will keep running but poor at top end.

I am not aware of anybody being able to clean/repair the pumps. You can clean filter etc but made no difference to mine.

See if you can swap a tank assembly with somebody - only a 5 min swap.

Would try this first then a maybe swap throttle bodies. Second hand Non PTB are quiet common and cheaper than a fuel pump.

If anybody has had any joy getting fuel pumps repaired would be intetsted as got my faulty one still lying under the bench.

Only aware of early 05/06 bikes having pump problems unless anybody knows different.

Best of luck

If water and engine temp is getting to high ecu will reset to low safty revs perhaps this is your problem. Cheapest is to start switching temp. sensor in the lower of radiator

Thanks to everyone for your reply's i will pass on all the comments made.I suggested swapping parts but not many people riding them in our club now & we(his mates ride GG)so he'll have to do a bit grovling to some one at the trial. And once again many thanks.

give Colin Batts a call and ask him what he found was wrong with the one he looked at for mr larkin. i cant remember what they diagnosed but it had a similar problem and he cured it

give Colin Batts a call and ask him what he found was wrong with the one he looked at for mr larkin. i cant remember what they diagnosed but it had a similar problem and he cured it

Thanks Gary its doing his head in now. He had it down alans & thought it was sorted but try'd it yesterday and exactly the same problem.He was trying to get mr larkin number to see if it had this problem befor.Have you got colin's number please.