Armstrong hiro tank

bambam_n_chunx

Can anyone recommend a good way of sealing a fibreglass tank. Most people i`ve spoken to say these tanks leaked from new and I should try putting some resin in it and rolling it round until it goes off but I`m not convinced this works.

Also I`m still trying to trace the bike and would like to know who rode 250 hiro`s in the 84 ssdt as from what little info is available it looks like the top riders were all on 320`s. All i`ve found out up to now is it was 1st registered in the bristol area and its number 71 of 75.

Cheers and all the best for 2012

I.ve never been a top rider but I have always lived in Bristol ans had a 250 around that time..I modded the exaust big time and that all I remember I liked the bike generally Steve Saunders rode one I.m sure

I had a MK2 250 and later a 320 and the tanks didn't leak. I think what could happen is that when you removed them from the bike, they were awkward to get off and the tap could get forced out by the frame as the tank came off if you weren't careful. It happened to my 250 and caused a small split which seeped.

I have a 320 now to rebuild but the tank shows no signs of leaking, so not sure it was a common problem. I think they were Kevlar lined.

Can't offer any advice on repairng the tank but these people will do it for you

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/index.htm

The only top line rider I can think of that rode a 250 was David Clinkard, everyone else I can think of rode the 320.

Thanks for the quick replies,

Woody, I`ll check the tap area for any damage. That seems to be the area where its leaking from.

All the info i`ve found seems to put dave clinkard on a 320. Its an A reg mk3 with white frame and tank transfers.

Chewy, thanks and i`ve looked at the exhaust, the front pipe looks like its been cut and had a longer bend put in but I cant tell you if thats original or not. I believe steve saunders rode the bigger 320.

Edited by bambam_n_chunx

Thanks for the quick replies,

Woody, I`ll check the tap area for any damage. That seems to be the area where its leaking from.

All the info i`ve found seems to put dave clinkard on a 320. Its an A reg mk3 with white frame and tank transfers.

Chewy, thanks and i`ve looked at the exhaust, the front pipe looks like its been cut and had a longer bend put in but I cant tell you if thats original or not. I believe steve saunders rode the bigger 320.

You could be right about Dave Clinkard ending up on the 320 thinking about it, it could have been the earlier model he rode as a 250, or his brother Andy (definitely one of them rode the earlier 250 bike) Saunders 320 was eventually a bigger capacity, something like 350cc. He wasn't keen on the 350 Jumbo rotax bike and preferred the Hiro.

The front pipe on the 250 should just come out through the frame tubes, stay close to the frame, straight up and over the left side (nearside) of the head as standard.

Hi Guys.

I live in Bolton the home of the Armstrong and have some contacts that worked at the factory I have a ex works Armstrong 320 it's a Saundres bike, trust me the bike has a none standard frame and the motor well its standard size for relibilaty it has some number from scruiteneering still on .

ps the tank is leaking like a waterfall as well.

as for the 240 Armstrong well under rated... just as good as a 320. rotax not so good.

Hi Guys,

Had a long term problem with my Armstrong tank leaking by the headstock due to damage from fitting and removing the tank over the years. Bought some epoxy resin from My linkcleaned the tank out using acetone and patched the leak, allowed it to cure, filled tank with fuel prior to Sammy Miller round- result fuel leaking from everywhere and no ride! Obviously acetone had done too good a job! So did the job again but properly, washed tank out, put an old fuel tap into tap threads to protect them and then filled the tank with significant quantity of resin (enough to coat all surfaces and let excess run out filler hole) swishing the resin in the tank to coat it. I'm very happy with the result, I'm lead to believe the resin will resist ethanol but I haven't seen that in writing so I won't guarantee it, but previous sealents I tried from reputable motorcycle parts outlets were definitely attacked by the the fuel and I have gummed up OKO carb to proove it! The tanks are Kevlar but I think that refers to the cloth/fibre used in the construction of the tank rather than a coating or treatment applied to a standard GRP material.

Seth29 obviously if you have an ex. works machine with a leaking tank the bike is of no value and you should sell it to me immediately! Be very interested to know a bit more about the 'works mods'.

Just had a look at bostits link, looks good but now i want to make a carbon fiber tank for the old armstrong that will look cool and stop leaking fuel over the floor,

Bostit, I will upload some pics of the mods but the bike it's in storage at the moment, Fist the head stock is stronger with bracing coming down the frame tube, X2 shocker mounting points and swing arm reinforced ,might take some time to do so will post new forum. :icon_salut:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

After trying a few different products, I've been using a product called SureSeal which is on

http://www.tankcareproducts.co.uk/Sureseal.pdf

I've done 5 Armstrong fibreglass tanks which were all leaking like sieves and all of them are dry as a bone now.

Make sure you clean them out very well, take your time with sloshing the stuff around the tank to make sure its evenly distributed and leave it for at least 7 days to cure.

Cheers

John