Totally flummoxed

charliechitlins

'03 200 Pro.

No start.

Stripped and cleaned carb.

Trimmed back plug wire and reinstalled boot.

Big FAT blue spark.

Plug gets wet after a few kicks.

New NGK BPR5EIX

Removed flywheel/rotor...key intact, no slippage.

Checked stator ground.

Exhaust gummy, but not clogged.

Checked reed cage (long shot)...no broken petals.

Not even a POP.

Nada.

Zippo.

Bupkis.

Not even with ether.

Fuel...air...spark...timing...

Am I missing something?

WTF.

I swear, I'm getting ready to part this thing out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could be crank seals, or have you checked water level in cooling system, it could be drawing water through head seals.

how did this start, or rather not start, did it stop whilst riding or just refuse to start one day?

Is it very old fuel?

Just thinking out loud really!

TLTEL

You guys are good...

I'll add some stuff.

Tried another plug...I have come across plugs that would fire outside but not under compression.

Tried closing the gap to about .5mm.

Can't imagine it's the kill switch if there's spark, but I will try disconnecting it.

The bike was often running flawlessly, but would sometimes be difficult to start.

Other times it started on 2 kicks.

Plug always ran a textbook perfect toasty brown.

The last time it ran it was very difficult to start and ran rough.

When I revved it to try to clear it out, it stopped suddenly at high RPM and didn't run again.

I tried kicking it over immediately after and it moved freely, so it didn'r seize.

Gas is a little old...not terrible (the thing didn't fire with ETHER!)

I haven't checked the compression with a gauge, but it sure pops my finger off like it should.

How would checking the plug with a strobe determine if it's firing inside? Any strobe I've seen goes on the wire outside.

Here's where it gets tricky.

The oil is milky (AHA! You say!), but I also had a bad waterpump seal/shaft AND bad seals for the throwout "top hat" so there may still be some foreign stuff in the oil.

Hard to say if it's new or left over.

I suppose I could pull the top end next and check the o-rings...

I'm not sure how to diagnose crank seals.

Try turning the gas off.

Take plug out.

Turn bike upside down.

Kick the kicker threw.

See if anything comes out of the plug hole.

I have a Monty which will not start unless it is cleared out this way after the bike sits for a couple of weeks. Or if the plug fouls when at high revs.

If the motor is flooded this is a easy way to clear it out.

If motor still will not start find a steep hill and POP start it in 4th or 5th gear

Try turning the gas off.

Take plug out.

Turn bike upside down.

Kick the kicker threw.

I have a Monty which will not start unless it is cleared out this way after the bike sits for a couple of weeks. Or if the plug fouls when at high revs.

If motor still will not start find a steep hill and POP start it in 4th or 5th gear

Worth a try, but disconnect the coil before you do this, you don't want a spark. :thumbup:

When my Bultaco just won't start I try heating the plug tip with a propane torch and get it as hot as possible (too hot to handle without gloves), some times this works since it helps to keep the plug dry for a few extra kicks before it gets too wet again, once running it usually smokes for a while until the crankcase is cleaned out. You seem to have tried everything else.

Try turning the gas off.

Take plug out.

Turn bike upside down.

Kick the kicker threw.

I wonder if that would work for my other bike, which occasionally loads up after sitting.

wilbur1r.jpg

Hi mate had the same problem with my sherco 290 2011, the fault was that the rings had been jammed in the grove as the piston had picked up on the barrel, take the down pipe off and have look up the bore, cost me over