Totally flummoxed

charliechitlins

I wonder if that would work for my other bike, which occasionally loads up after sitting.

wilbur1r.jpg

That 'aint no bike, that's a M1 Abrams with the turret off. :blink:

I'm a bit concerned that it won't start up even with the ether 'cos I've seen that stuff fire up deceased engines...Long shot..take the silencer off!!??

Edited by HAM2

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That 'aint no bike, that's a M1 Abrams with the turret off. :blink:

I'm a bit concerned that it won't start up even with the ether 'cos I've seen that stuff fire up deceased engines...Long shot..take the silencer off!!??

This is what I'm sayin'! That's why I was so sure the flywheel key was sheared.

The only excuse I could think of was timing that was way off.

This is driving me nuts.

And...as for the Harley...I always take the front fender off before I ride it in a Trial

:rolleyes: No,n,n,n,no...off the Gasser..in case it's restricting the pressure wave. :popcorn: Like I said it's a blind stab in the dark.

Also ,I've heard of Gaspeople slotting the mount holes for the 'hall effect' pick up so it's closer to the flywheel..we're talking 'feeler guage' clearances here though !

'03 200 Pro.

No start.

Stripped and cleaned carb.

Trimmed back plug wire and reinstalled boot.

Big FAT blue spark.

Plug gets wet after a few kicks.

New NGK BPR5EIX

Removed flywheel/rotor...key intact, no slippage.

Checked stator ground.

Exhaust gummy, but not clogged.

Checked reed cage (long shot)...no broken petals.

Not even a POP.

Nada.

Zippo.

Bupkis.

Not even with ether.

Fuel...air...spark...timing...

Am I missing something?

WTF.

I swear, I'm getting ready to part this thing out.

Went through a similar scenario on a customer's '08 Raga 300. Turned out the plug boot had a tiny tear on top that would ground on the bottom of the fuel tank. Try filling the carb bowl and starting the bike without the tank installed. Drove us crazy until we changed the plug boot to fix the problem !

hi again ,if you were to fit a strobe light with plug out of the head you should see the strobe light up when kicking (as plug is sparking ) ,refitting of a good plug in head and rekicking whilst watching strobe ,if it doesnt light up it means theres no spark at plug ie lost under compression if it still lights up theres a very good chance the plugs sparking whilst in the cylinder ,if strobe does not light up when plug is in i would suspect the stator breaking down ,, if strobe lights up ok check compression with a tester or like you say remove front pipe to inspect piston and rings if no tester available

OK...did a little more work...time is tight these days!

Pulled the head pipe and peeked in.

A little scuffing on the piston. but I've seen much worse on bikes that ran fine.

Nothing bad enough to look like material smeared over the rings and seizing them in the lands.

Compression test: 40psi with throttle closed, up to 70 with throttle open.

I don't know what it's supposed to be.

Another tear-down of the carb just for kicks...double check.

Everything is eat-off-it clean.

I drilled the starter jet a little because I wanted to feel like I was accomplishing something.

I'll button it up soon and try a fresh plug at .3mm as suggested.

You just can't put a price on a good time.

OK...did a little more work...time is tight these days!

Pulled the head pipe and peeked in.

A little scuffing on the piston. but I've seen much worse on bikes that ran fine.

Nothing bad enough to look like material smeared over the rings and seizing them in the lands.

Compression test: 40psi with throttle closed, up to 70 with throttle open.

I don't know what it's supposed to be.

Another tear-down of the carb just for kicks...double check.

Everything is eat-off-it clean.

I drilled the starter jet a little because I wanted to feel like I was accomplishing something.

I'll button it up soon and try a fresh plug at .3mm as suggested.

You just can't put a price on a good time.

Charlie,

70 PSI sounds pretty low and you should have about double that. You might need to pull the

top end and check the ring gap to see how much wear you've got.

Jon

something simple here.. the plug has a big FAT spark you ve confirmed that and it gets moist you ve confirmed that so it has fuel and an ignition source.

i'd advance the ignition so it ll start easier and lean off the gas heat the plug up as mentioned above and tow it behind a car on a tarmac surface with the rear tyre fully inflated to bump start it in third gear or higher.

with spark and fuel it should at least attempt to start..

something simple here.. the plug has a big FAT spark you ve confirmed that and it gets moist you ve confirmed that so it has fuel and an ignition source.

i'd advance the ignition so it ll start easier and lean off the gas heat the plug up as mentioned above and tow it behind a car on a tarmac surface with the rear tyre fully inflated to bump start it in third gear or higher.

with spark and fuel it should at least attempt to start..

Not to be ungrateful for the help, but....

It seems to me that the best that could come from that is the knowledge that have a bike that will run provided I heat the plug and drag it behind a car,

Unless I'm missing something.

I'm pretty sure that the way low compression is a good place to start.

Did you put a tea spoon - table spoon of oil in your plug hole and crank a couple of times before carrying out the compression test?

Just asking as you got different readings with throttle open and closed (rings obviously get wet with fuel/oil).

On my 280 txt with new rings I get 155psi with the method above. I would expect somewhere between 80 - 110psi for a 200cc.

Even with 70psi it should still start.

I know I keep asking but you never answered, did you try it with plug gap at 0.3mm?

Did you put a tea spoon - table spoon of oil in your plug hole and crank a couple of times before carrying out the compression test?

Just asking as you got different readings with throttle open and closed (rings obviously get wet with fuel/oil).

On my 280 txt with new rings I get 155psi with the method above. I would expect somewhere between 80 - 110psi for a 200cc.

Even with 70psi it should still start.

I know I keep asking but you never answered, did you try it with plug gap at 0.3mm?

Thanks...good call on the oil in the cyl.

It has been sitting awhile and would be dry.

The difference in compression with throttle open is, I think, due to the amount of air being let in.

The carb was empty.

And...I have a new plug installed and set to .3mm, as per your recommendation...I just have to find the time to get the tank on and give it a few kicks.

This weekend, after doing all 4 brake pads and rotors on my old car, I just didn't have the energy to spin any more wrenches.

Thanks.