Snatcy Throttle on 36v

petrg

My 7 yr old has just got an Oset 36v, which I can't keep him off, which is great.

But the take off from a standstill is really jerky!!! I have researched this, and it appears this is a common issue. I have turned the potentiometer up to max, and it makes no difference other than increase the top speed of the bike, which is great, but we still have the jerky throttle.

This makes riding at slow speed, which is the idea of a Trials bike, very difficult. I have been advised to buy a programmable speed controller from Kelly Controllers in the US.. Surely if Oset know of this issue, the programmable speed controller should be supplied with the bike???

Has anybody any feedback after changing there speed controller to a Kelly programmable one?

Cheers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frogger

The fix is to order the Kelly controller. I just wanted to hear from those that have fitted one, before I spend my hard earned cash on one.. As if the 36v Oset wasn't expensive enough!!!!! Great bike, just let down by the throttle and old tech on the batteries.. Li-po is next, once the throttle is sorted.

Regards

I am going to call Oset tomorrow for help on which controller to buy exactly and how to fit. Will post whatever I find out.

My 8000mah lipo's are ordered. Should make a nice 16000mah pack. I'll post up my results on that too. I need to get the snatchy start sorted because the lipo's will bump the voltage up a bit so my fear is the snatchyness will be exaggerated.

Mine is brand new. Bought 3 weeks ago. My son who is almost 9 has no problem with the throttle, he is used to a KTM 65 2stroke but even then I can still see the rear wheel spin when he opens the throttle. It's when my daughter who is 5 and is very inexperienced tries to ride it that it's a big problem. I know the 36v is designed for more experienced riders but it should still be ultra smooth, no reason for snatchyness.

Edited by frogger

You dont need a kelly controller to fix this problem, but you do need to know what is causing the problem before you can fix it. Is the snatchy throttle only at the very start of the throttle travel i.e when pulling away or for example if your riding at 1/4 throttle and then twist some more do it still snatch or is it more controllable from 1/4 throttle up ?. I expect the kelly control has a soft start built into it which do smooth out the throttle from a stand still but it will introduce a delay in the throttle in doing so which is also not very good trials. I would fit a magura pot throttle first, Hall throttles are ok but they are not consistant.

My sons Oset is a brand new 36v bought 2 weeks ago from my local dealer.

My son is an experienced rider having had a CrF 50 and then a Cobra 50( similar to KTM 50 ), so he is not intimidated by the power!!

It is the initial bite of the throttle, ie: the position from a standstill to actually a position were the bike starts moving, it's either on or off!!! No good for trials. When the bike is moving the throttle action isn't perfect but is manageable.. But it's still need sorting were the power is from and off position to on..

Regards

Spoke to Ian today and he re-iterated that the 36v was designed to work this way so that kids can get good drive off the bike to loft the front wheel up and get over obstacles. I can see that with my boy, he loves the kick.

But... For my little girl it's an issue and my lipo upgrade will make the problem worse so Ian did recommend trying the Kelly controller. He said they had very good results with it.

Very helpful, Ian said he will try and help me through the wiring if I decide to buy it. I have decided to hold off for a bit, complete the lipo upgrade and give my little girl some more time on the bike to see how it goes. In a weird way I actually think it might teach her more sensitive control with the throttle but time will tell.

Edited by frogger

I over come this problem with my powerfull e-bikes ( they are not osets ) by making a throttle interface that allows the programming of the throttle resolution at different points with in its travel( throttle mapping ) so there is no delay introduced , this works very well as it was a big issue for very slow riding control, the more powerfull the bike the more of a problem it becomes. There are quite a few controllers out there that have soft start options ( delay in throttle ) but how well these work will depend on the controller design.