Cota 247 - 1969

greeves

This is the link that I found a while ago, when we were discussing silencers before. They are listed here €200.60+ €10.50 shipping. I haven't seen anywhere else online that lists them.

http://solomontesa.c...7d9555e634c49be

I've never ordered anything from here before, but I imagine that it will be less expensive than Frankiemountain's suggestion!

Just to add another angle to this thread.... I was at a mates place yesterday where he showed me another of his gems - a 247 Cota engine in a Whitlock plated frame.Its quite an early engine,21m 1011,the bike is incomplete but would be an easy build.I didnt know Mick Whitlock even did frames for Montesa engines,he must have been a busy chap !

I couldnt get any pics as its almost buried behind about 4 other bikes,it was difficult enough to get at the engine number.I looked through all my books last night and couldnt find any reference to it,it was apparently one of about 120 commisioned by BVM in Stroud ?

• Like 1

Just to add another angle to this thread.... I was at a mates place yesterday where he showed me another of his gems - a 247 Cota engine in a Whitlock plated frame.Its quite an early engine,21m 1011,the bike is incomplete but would be an easy build.I didnt know Mick Whitlock even did frames for Montesa engines,he must have been a busy chap !

I couldnt get any pics as its almost buried behind about 4 other bikes,it was difficult enough to get at the engine number.I looked through all my books last night and couldnt find any reference to it,it was apparently one of about 120 commisioned by BVM in Stroud ?

Did it look like this one? What was thought to have been a Rickman frame in this thread, is actually confirmed as a Whitlock one. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/28565-montesa-frame-by-rickman/

I have a very blurry picture of Triss Sharp riding a WASP framed 247 Cota in 1969 at a Weymouth and South Dorset Trial.

Bottom part of the frame was Alloy plate with a fabricated lower engine mount welded to bash plate.

I was competing most weekends from 68 to 72 and I never heard of a Whitlock version but it is quite possible they were produced as a lot of riders felt the original frames were too heavy and would have jumped at chance to get a Whitlock frame. So the demand was there!

Giving the Mont an outing at the Kingswood 2 day this week end and am currently in the final stages of building a 172.

Regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Wayne

Nearly, Cranbrook Road.

In those days I could just pop up to Constitution Hill and make sure all was ok or go over Canford Heath.

Did the Kingswood 2 day and it ran like clockwork.

Last week I stripped it down and got the frame powder coated white and am currently rebuilding ready for the Ilkley round of the SM Champs.

Last big job is to refurb the tank and seat unit, I also need to get an IRC on the back as the Dunlop does not seem as grippy.

Regards

Martin

Hi

Technical advice please re Gearbox adjuster plate.

Bike is now back together and took it for ride on the road just to shake it down.

It does not select 4th or 5th correctly (it tries to jump out of gear).

Dots are lined up on the selector gears so I probably have to adjust the cam nut.

So the question is do I ROTATE the cam nut clockwise or anticlockwise to get a more positive 4 - 5th.

All selects fine with out the engine running.

Kind regards

Martin

Edited by triple_x

Finally got round to taking a couple of pics of my latest Cota.... I intend to use its engine in my original 247 as this one is up and running well.OK it wont be the original in the bike,but it will massively speed up getting a big hub Cota back into use.(We are talking months here,cos its still 4 projects down the line....)

post-3125-0-32605500-1342290049_thumb.jpg

post-3125-0-63799500-1342290080_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gearbox.

I have now established that the 5th gear selection problem is within the gearbox.

Whilst the box is quite straight forward to work on does anyone have tips that I should watch out for.

I am familiar with setting the end float by shimming the ends of the shafts.

It is the other areas like the guide pins on the selector forks, what tolerance is acceptable.

The Clymer manual is not helpfull in this area! They even get the lengths of the three sets on rollers/pins for the sliding gears wrong!

I look forward to any comments. :hyper:

Regards

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Well where do I start!

Bike jumped out of 5th, well I managed to finish the Pately Bridge SM round by screaming around in fourth(sorry locals)!!

Found the problem, sliding 4th pinion dogs were worn down so changed the pinion for one in the spare bottom end.

As usual it did not stop there, main bearings had rust spots and were knacked, wrong oil seals fitted to the crank, the kickstart big bush was in two pieces and to cap it all the l/hand bottom mount was held on by Devcon!!!!!. Finally there had been so much blowby on the piston the crank had carbon deposits.

After a week all this was sorted and she now has fifth gear runs cleaner and overall feels better.

Why have I gone into detail of by problems, basically I think moral is :- Buy a wreck and give it a ground up rebuild as it it probably easier that patching up a superficially pretty bike.

Hard work but worth it, perhaps, we shall see next week.

Martin

Edited by triple_x