Arctic Trials

40belowbiker

totally looks worth it ! i bet it bloody hurts if you fall over,

was the first tyre mullured due to the cold temps?

I think the dry climate has more to do with it. The tire was a couple of years old but I had just installed it. I run lots of studded tires and have never had the knobs break off a trials tire before. Rubber dries out quickly here - a rubber band may last 2 months before it gets brittle. I think the tire dried out and that + the cold helped the knobs crack off. I tried car rally carbide studs in that tire and the traction wasn't good at all, and the knobs came off in an hour or 2. Then I studded a new tire with ice racing screws with lots of traction and the knobs stayed perfectly. With better traction you'd thing the knobs would tear off sooner. The rally studs are inserted into holes drilled into the knobs, and the ice screws are just like sheet metal screws so twisted in. Maybe the screws get into the tire carcass a bit and hold the knobs on better. It coudl be any combination of things. I'm glad it only happened once.

Cheers

Edited by 40BelowBiker

I think the dry climate has more to do with it. The tire was a couple of years old but I had just installed it. I run lots of studded tires and have never had the knobs break off a trials tire before. Rubber dries out quickly here - a rubber band may last 2 months before it gets brittle. I think the tire dried out and that + the cold helped the knobs crack off. I tried car rally carbide studs in that tire and the traction wasn't good at all, and the knobs came off in an hour or 2. Then I studded a new tire with ice racing screws with lots of traction and the knobs stayed perfectly. With better traction you'd thing the knobs would tear off sooner. The rally studs are inserted into holes drilled into the knobs, and the ice screws are just like sheet metal screws so twisted in. Maybe the screws get into the tire carcass a bit and hold the knobs on better. It coudl be any combination of things. I'm glad it only happened once.

Cheers

Makes sense, thanks for the info and photos :)

• 2 weeks later...