New 4Rt Owner

bikeng

After a few questions on here I eventually found a bike, so I'm now the happy owner of a 2010 4RT. But immediately there's more questions:-

First of all, does anyone know from where I can obtain some frame protectors in PLAIN black? All the ones I can find are carbon look and I'd rather have just plain black.

All their stuff is carbon look which I don't want. But I've asked if they can supply plain ones anyway.

I cannot understand why it seems to be only carbon look stuff that's available. I've nothing inherently against trying to look like a different material, but it seems to me that the whole point of plastic protectors is to obviously protect the items underneath, but to also be able to withstand the wear and tear of hard use that is likely to occur with a trials bike. However, the carbon fibre appearance is just a surface coating and will surely wear off so the protectors will then look like crap. Whereas, start with plain black ABS which is black all the way through and however much it wears, it'll still look the same.

Someone surely must make these protection plastics in plain black?

All their stuff is carbon look which I don't want. But I've asked if they can supply plain ones anyway.

I cannot understand why it seems to be only carbon look stuff that's available. I've nothing inherently against trying to look like a different material, but it seems to me that the whole point of plastic protectors is to obviously protect the items underneath, but to also be able to withstand the wear and tear of hard use that is likely to occur with a trials bike. However, the carbon fibre appearance is just a surface coating and will surely wear off so the protectors will then look like crap. Whereas, start with plain black ABS which is black all the way through and however much it wears, it'll still look the same.

Someone surely must make these protection plastics in plain black?

Never found any

The Carbon look wears off and then they just look like plain black plastic

Plus it isn't much of a carbon look anyway

I'm not bothered about how they look, as long as they protect the frame, who cares

RightEngineClose.jpg

Rearleft.jpg

All the other covers are real Carbon :D

A tip.............use plenty of extra zip ties to secure them :P

Edited by Johnnyboxer

The Carbon look wears off and then they just look like plain black plastic

That's what I guessed, but it won't wear evenly so it'll look tatty pretty quick. Looks like it's the only solution though:-(

Another question:-

Does anyone market an aluminium side/prop stand?

That's what I guessed, but it won't wear evenly so it'll look tatty pretty quick. Looks like it's the only solution though:-(

Guards are guards, meant to protect what's underneath.....................not to look pretty, if you're worried just put some stickers over the top OR use SXS frame stickers

Guards are guards, meant to protect what's underneath.....................not to look pretty, if you're worried just put some stickers over the top OR use SXS frame stickers

Well if it doesn't matter what it looks like I might as well just let the black paint wear away from the frame. If stickers do it for you, lucky you, but they just don't do it for me.

Why does anyone want to prevent wear to the frame? It's not like the aluminium is going to wear away and break. No, it's to keep it looking decent and as my frame is essentially plain black, some plain black protectors would look best and remain that way for longest. I appreciate it may be hard or impossible to find what I'm looking for, but doesn't make me wrong to want it.

Looks like I'm stuck with carbon look however:-(

Well if it doesn't matter what it looks like I might as well just let the black paint wear away from the frame. If stickers do it for you, lucky you, but they just don't do it for me.

Why does anyone want to prevent wear to the frame? It's not like the aluminium is going to wear away and break. No, it's to keep it looking decent and as my frame is essentially plain black, some plain black protectors would look best and remain that way for longest. I appreciate it may be hard or impossible to find what I'm looking for, but doesn't make me wrong to want it.

Looks like I'm stuck with carbon look however:-(

Nope it don't but they are the only ones that are made unfortunately

That's why I avoided the Black frame models, they look shabby very quickly

What else are you planning?

Edited by Johnnyboxer

That's why I avoided the Black frame models, they look shabby very quickly

It's also why I was reluctant to get a black framed model. Same problem with the coloured wheels:-(

What else are you planning?

I think learning to ride it is the best plan:-)

Been off-roading for years (and still have a CRF450X), but not so much recently and hoping trials will re-ignite my passion.

It's also why I was reluctant to get a black framed model. Same problem with the coloured wheels:-(

I think learning to ride it is the best plan:-)

Been off-roading for years (and still have a CRF450X), but not so much recently and hoping trials will re-ignite my passion.

That's why I went for a 2007 Repsol, easier to keep on top of and it's a keeper

Me too, been trailriding for years and have 2 dualsports (250 and 650), keep dabbling in Trials

That's why I went for a 2007 Repsol, easier to keep on top of and it's a keeper

Me too, been trailriding for years and have 2 dualsports (250 and 650), keep dabbling in Trials

I was really after a 2007 for the reasons we've discussed, but then this one came up and, well, just didn't want to wait any longer.

Mitani makes a great side stand. Aluminium & very stable. Tucks out of the way very nicely.