Welding On Bike

jeeves88

Your not supposed to as it could damage the electrics.Dropping the engine out and disconnecting the electrics cant take the long just for piece of mind. Better taking an hour longer than having to fork out brass for something you could have prevented!

On the flip side, I've known people MIG snd TIG weld bikes with electrics still connected with no adverse affect. I wouldn't do it though and always disconnect the wires for peace of mind (although I haven't a clue what's actually happening in terms of current etc. - don't understand electricity....)

• 10 months later...

Having been a welder for 28 years I would recommend disconnecting all wires coming from magneto, generator and battery. Do make sure the wiring is totally isolated. Remove fuel tank and plug pipe to carb. Remember when welding sparks can travel so keep surrounding area clear, dampen floor with water, and if possible get someone to stay nearby.

Take care cleaning the area to be welded, and don't rush.

Good luck.

As an engineer I wouldn't reccomend using a mig to weld anything on a trial bike unless it was aluminum and you are a good welder.

If its steel or 4130 CoMo and you care about your bike it should be tigged or oxy/accetelene welded. 4130 also needs a specific filler rod suitable for super steels.

Dont get me wrong You will get away with a mig welder and regular steel welding wire but it won't be as strong as the parent metal or look abywhere near as neat as it could so you might be welding it again in the near future when it starts to crack. It'll be okay for a quick repair, just not the best.