Two Holes?

lewisallen

soo i was out riding 2day and after washing my bike off iv noticed that theres hole in my silencer.. noooo not the one thats surposed to be there. looks like my rear tyre has rubbed through it:( how can i fix this without buyin a new can?? and also where can i buy new silencers if i need one.. cant find them anywhere in the uk.

IMG01150-20120201-1729.jpg

bikes a 2002 gaser txt 280 if thats any help.. thanks

bikes going back to the garage i got it from tomorrow, he said hes going to weld a plate on. :D surely theres a cheaper exhaust of different one i can put on, like an aftermarket one, fmf do exhausts that look similar to trials ones.but i dont no if u can use them on trials bikes

A different one will still get bent in and be no better - I used one of the inner liners this place did - not sure if they still do them My link

A different one will still get bent in and be no better - I used one of the inner liners this place did - not sure if they still do them My link

i no a different exhaust wont make any difference but just in case i need a new, can u get aftermarket ones?? and is this the cover your on about??http://www.trick-bits.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_50&product_id=79 how do u fix it to the pipe?

I did the same as rustybay (Wayne), for my '02 GG 280 TXT Pro, which had a spot worn through just like the one in your photo.

Just took off the pipe, and riveted on some matching aluminum plate to cover the hole. I also used some silcone sealer (RTV high temp stuff) to seal around the edges of the patch. While I had it off, I repacked the silencer as well.

Figure, if/when the tire wears through the patch, I'll just drill out the rivets, cut a new aluminum piece and rivet that on.

Cheap/easy fix. Looks pretty good to. If you want, I can take a photo of it and post it in a couple of days.

Edited by PurpleBeast

I did the same as rustybay (Wayne), for my '02 GG 280 TXT Pro, which had a spot worn through just like the one in your photo.

Just took off the pipe, and riveted on some matching aluminum plate to cover the hole. I also used some silcone sealer (RTV high temp stuff) to seal around the edges of the patch. While I had it off, I repacked the silencer as well.

Figure, if/when the tire wears through the patch, I'll just drill out the rivets, cut a new aluminum piece and rivet that on.

Cheap/easy fix. Looks pretty good to. If you want, I can take a photo of it and post it in a couple of days.

I've seen this done many times..looks a bit Frankenstein but works well.

I seem to remember putting a spacer between the exhaust hanger and the frame to move the silencer 'out-over'.

P.S. with a topic entitled 'Two holes?' I would have expected more smutty answers than this....I thought it might be a 'poll'

Edited by HAM2

I seem to remember putting a spacer between the exhaust hanger and the frame to move the silencer 'out-over'.

P.S. with a topic entitled 'Two holes?' I would have expected more smutty answers than this....I thought it might be a 'poll'

well hopefully ill pick the bike back up tomorrow, dropped it off this afternoon guys welding a plate on for me and cleaning my carb,hopefully will look alright.

and as for the topic title i was surprised too that no one had put some immature comments haha

It is a common fix and solves the problem. I've fixed a few friends silencers by cutting and welding in a plate and surface sanding the welds, and if done well it's had to tell it's a repair. The top shock bolt secures the silencer hanger/tab and the tab can be spaced out using about 3-6mm of stacked washers. The shock bolt is secured by a Nyloc nut so if the bolt threads do not engage the Nylon after the washers are installed, you'll want to use some Loctite in the nut.

If the plate is put on the outside of the muffler, you'll need to space out the silencer even more as there will be less clearance due to the thickness of the plate.

I agree, considering the topic, participant restraint has been surprizing! And, a little scarey.........

Jon

i no a different exhaust wont make any difference but just in case i need a new, can u get aftermarket ones?? and is this the cover your on about??http://www.trick-bits.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_50&product_id=79 how do u fix it to the pipe?

Similar but it went on the inside of the silencer and was held by the mounting bolt.

got the bike back 2day and the guy that did it must be a god with a welder and grinder.. just looks like a scratch on the can now and hes managed to pull the pipe out more for me too, only just got home so ill post a photo tomorrow if i remeber to see what you lot think of the repair. :banana2:

• 8 years later...