Beamish Fork Springs

djr

Hello , I have a Beamish 250 {silver engine, aprox. 1976} .The Front forks are too soft , {a lot of sag & bottom out easy}. I am 82kg so may be bit heavier than average but i still dont think they are correct

The fork springs are full length with no spacer under the cap , I have seen a parts book for a RL250 which shows a shorter spring with a spacer about 100-125mm long at the top under the cap. Does anybody know the correct lengths for the spring and spacer so that i can try and find the correct parts ?

Alternatively could anybody recommend differant springs to use or a supplier to ask ?

thanks dave

Following may be worth a try:

Remove the springs and fully compress the forks then fill with oil to within 100 or 110mm of top of fork tube. re assemble and try. You could go down to 80 or 90mm free space above oil and see if that helps.

Cheers

Are your forks air/oil or just oil? If the former they will have iar valves at 45 degrees on the tops. You can try preload spacers to suit by cutting only pieces of bent handlebar - a cheap alternative, it they are still too slack then put a little more in. Start at 3 1/2". If your forks are air/oil, buy a proper fork pump and inflate to 15 psi.

hello, the forks are just oil, not air/oil.

thank you for the tip re. making spacers from handlebar.

will try that out {when it stops snowing here}

also if the the forks could be converted to air/oil that might improve things ,

thanks for the replies,

dave

• 4 weeks later...

HI Jim,

I am just about finished with my Majesty yam that as you know has RL forks on it, I came to fill forks with oil tonight and before I got anywhere near 236cc they were overflowing ! I have stripped forks to make sure nothing wrong and all appears ok, not doubting your knowledge but any ideas ? is 236cc the right quantity, they are the earlier forks without air assistance, help much appreciated, want to give it a test ride at the weekend (been a year in the building !)