Swapping A Phbh For A Phbl

sharkbait

Thinking of swapping the old PHBH for a PHBL on my 315. Am I right in saying that the PHBL airbox and inlet manifold rubbers are different sizes to the PHBH?

If so do they need replacing or can the PHBL be made to fit the existing rubbers?

Edited by sharkbait

they are not the same size, the connection sizes are different

PHBH

available in 26mm or 28mm

36mm elastic connection to engine

42mm connection for trumpet/air filter attachment.

PHBL

available in 26mm, not in 28mm

31mm elastic connection to engine

38mm connection for trumpet/air filter attachment.

apart from the connection sizes, the construction is equal.

greetings

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes I found that out today!!

So my decision now is how best to fit the PHBL. I'd much rather not have to buy new rubbers so I need the best way to make up the 5mm difference in sizes.

So far I've given the carb a really good clean and put it back together - it was filthy. As a temporary measure I've wrapped some tape around the inlet and outlet then added two layers of inner tube to give a rubber-rubber seal. It seems to be working OK at the moment with the existing rubbers but ideally I'd like to source a couple of bits of rubber that I could use to sleeve the connections, so 31mm inside diameter x 2.5mm thick for the carb outlet and 38mm x 2.5mm thick for the inlet.

I was also thinking of using self-amalgamating tape as this is quite thick, sticks really well and has a rubbery texture.

The bike seems to be running better with the phbl on even though I've not even looked at the jetting yet - it's currently got a 108 main and 36 idle jet, not sure how these compare to the recommended jets.

Only potential issue is the slide which seems to have a bit of wear on it, how important would this be?

Edited by sharkbait