Pre65 Class Bikes

greeves

. How is it the E&D clubs fault, do these bikes you mention only do the one trial. E&D do not set the rules for all pre65 trials. E&D over the last four years have put in new construction rules each year. E&D could easily lay down the law for next year,but most riders would have to build a new bike to enter the trial.It is very cheap to blame one club for all the mess.

Edited by tamdodds

. How is it the E&D clubs fault, do these bikes you mention only do the one trial. E&D do not set the rules for all pre65 trials. E&D over the last four years have put in new construction rules each year. E&D could easily lay down the law for next year,but most riders would have to build a new bike to enter the trial.It is very cheap to blame one club for all the mess.

Dont know if you are refering to me Tam but all i stated was that the rules as put forward for the scottish pre65 two day are effectively the guideline for people building a pre65 british bike whatever you want to call it as people who build one need to know it is scottish legal as if they want to submit an entry or sell it that is the first question that is asked. nobodys "fault" just that the scottish is the pinnacle in most peoples minds of pre65 trials in the UK.

Club and centers have their own construction rules. E&D club does not dictate your clubs trials construction rules. I come south to trial, no scrutineering of any kind takes place. Do not blame E&D for the lack of construction rules with in the sport. Pre65 trials have evolved since it started, both in bike and section, in Kinlochleven the sections are probably more akin to" a fantic 240pro" trial, I can't see this being reversed, people from all over come to watch and take part in this great event. Who is to blame for the trick bike, these bikes are built, bought and sold by you the rider, it would seem that when there is a more trick bike out there than yours, it's time to cry woof

Edited by tamdodds

Club and centers have their own construction rules. E&D club does not dictate your clubs trials construction rules. I come south to trial, no scrutineering of any kind takes place. Do not blame E&D for the lack of construction rules with in the sport. Pre65 trials have evolved since it started, both in bike and section, in Kinlochleven the sections are probably more akin to" a fantic 240pro" trial, I can't see this being reversed, people from all over come to watch and take part in this great event. Who is to blame for the trick bike, these bikes are built, bought and sold by you the rider, it would seem that when there is a more trick bike out there than yours, it's time to cry woof

I referred to the E & D spec and again Tam, you've taken the whole thing out of context. Read what I said.

I have no issue with modified bikes.

I don't care who rides what

There is a place for modified, modernised and standard bikes in the trials world - or there should be, personal choice and all that

There isn't a place in the Scottish for something considered a special - there is only one set of eligibility criteria, no either / or. That is a fact.

Clubs throughout the UK have their own rules for eligibility. On the whole they vary very little. They can differ from E & D.

In most events, if bikes don't conform to the 'standard' class they go in the specials - but not in the Scottish as there isn't one

If someone wants to ride in the Scottish it is no use building a bike that conforms to local club rules which may differ from E & D eligiblility criteria as they won't accept it in the Scottish

Therefore if you want to ride in the Scottish you have to have a bike that complies to E & D rules

If your bike complies with the Sottish rules it will be fine to ride anywhere else whether standard or specials class.

So, if someone is thinking of buying or building a Pre65 bike and wants to ride the Scottish on it, what does it make sense to do? Build it to their spec or to local club spec?

That is all I said. No criticism of anyone

My criticism is the folly that would make the original 50 years old FB in the picture a 'special' if it was fitted with say an 'unacceptable' front wheel, (and therefore also inelligible for the Scottish) whereas the brand new modified and modernised 2012 bike is considered fine. My view is that there should be room for both but that's all it is - my view.

My point to the debate is there is no point trying to standardise rules across all parties when you have one trial, considered the premier Pre65 trial of the year and which over 400 people aspire to ride, that has a seperate rule sheet.

It's a straightforward enough - no criticism of individuals intended.

• Like 2

New bloke on this forum, hello all!

Having previously been involved in road racing and never having ridden in a trial, I hoped to put this right with either my Dot or one of my Jimmy's.

Reading all of the posts and disagreements about pre-65 bikes, I am discouraged and afraid that I might trangress unwittingly by trying to use a bike that wasn't regarded as correct.

I think the 1959? Dot maybe ok, but I have seen many modified and even new Jimmy's and FB's at trials, so maybe I will leave mine in the shed to avoid being shouted at?

I only wanted to ride 'em, there would be no danger of ever getting into the results at my age.

• Like 1

Iron master, don't worry! Clubs want riders. I have only been involved in trials for about 2 years but have never experienced any issue with anyone regarding bikes eligibility etc. I only built my pre 65 bike late last year and, wherever possible I tried to do things by the book as such. But I used Mz forks as they were all I could get/afford at the time. I made them look like they were older but I experienced no problems where I ride. I have since changed them to REH, not pre65 (67) but British and they work better than my mz's. And I'm still on points no pvl here. I agree that rules should be followed and would have no problems having to ride my bike in specials class if deemed necesary. I still look at every class when I'm comparing my results anyway. I have modernised my bike slightly, footrests lowered etc but I believe I have kept it in the spirit of the sport and is a compromise between an original bike and a modified fully sorted one. Have a look in the garage and see Ride what you have werever you can and enjoy it for what it is.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but surely Alan Wright in a recent Classic Dirt Bike as the right idea.

A control tyre that as the grip of a typical 60's tyre. I think he suggested a Mitas.

This then means that sections have to laid out like the 60's enabling more old sections to be brought back into use.

It would also mean that you would not need that trick bike to be able to compete.

Reading all of the posts and disagreements about pre-65 bikes, I am discouraged and afraid that I might trangress unwittingly by trying to use a bike that wasn't regarded as correct.

Honestly, there really is very very little chance of that happening. Just take your bike and enjoy your day's riding. At worst, someone might say 'you need to enter that class on that bike, not that calss' - but most unlikely.

Reading some of the comments on here, it does seem that people are still misunderstanding what the situation is. As I've mentioned before, I'm not hearing any real complaints from riders about other riders' bikes - unless I'm reading the situation wrongly.

Reply to ironmaster, as woody puts it, go to a trial on your classic bike and have a great days fun, at most trials nobody will care what your bike looks like, they will just be glad there is one more old bike out taking part. If you have tweaked your bike, most riders will be curious and interested to see if there is an improvement on the standard, but in general they wont care in the slightest what you have done to it.

• Like 3

Reply to ironmaster, as woody puts it, go to a trial on your classic bike and have a great days fun, at most trials nobody will care what your bike looks like, they will just be glad there is one more old bike out taking part. If you have tweaked your bike, most riders will be curious and interested to see if there is an improvement on the standard, but in general they wont care in the slightest what you have done to it.

In a nutshell............... ;)

New bloke on this forum, hello all!

Having previously been involved in road racing and never having ridden in a trial, I hoped to put this right with either my Dot or one of my Jimmy's.

I think the 1959? Dot maybe ok, but I have seen many modified and even new Jimmy's and FB's at trials, so maybe I will leave mine in the shed to avoid being shouted at?

I only wanted to ride 'em, there would be no danger of ever getting into the results at my age.

Hi dont take too much notice or read too much into discussions that have taken place on here. Most bikes would never be affected anyway especially at club level. Most of the discussions that take place dont happen at trials anyway but things do get discussed here because people care deeply about the sport they love.

I suppose that because most of us have been involved for so long we forget how this can be percieved by people who have not been involved for as long. Dont be put off riding your bike especially at any of the three Classic clubs in your area. Just come along and i guarantee you will be made most welcome at all of them.

Rules in any walk of life will always provoke discussion but in whatever area of our day to day life we come across rules that have to be there to try and keep things under control. Some rules will be ignored some wont but in the main they are there for a good reason. Most of the time you will never even think of any rule or law that may affect you because your actions dont contraviene any i.e 30mph limits are usually there for a reason and most people realise that and drive accordingly but if the limit was abolished there would always be somebody who behaved recklessly and didnt apply common sense. Because there are rules there are lines drawn in the sand which we then know we shouldnt cross. In a democracy we can then challenge any rules we dont agree with and lobby to get them changed which is good and is what the discussions on here are about.

From reading your post i doubt very much if anything would ever be said to you other than "great to see you and i hope you have a good time."

Come along ride your bike and have fun with the rest of us :thumbup:

Edited by Old trials fanatic