A Tank Of Fuel, How Far ?

cabby

Absolutely no idea, but in rough maths terms, my 290 evo holds about 3 litres or thereabouts, which is a bit over half a gallon. A 250 aprilia 2-stroke road bike does about 35 mpg. Assume similar for a trialie (it's got a gentler tune, but lower gearing and higher likely losses). On the back of that, if you've ridden 15 miles, I'd be looking for a petrol station!

A rough guesstimate is all I'm looking for.

Don't ever want to find out the hard way, but say trail riding on you're every day trials bike, be it 125/250/300, how many miles would/should I expect ??

This is SOOO hard to guess, really. MANY things complicate it. rider size (weight), are you riding sections as you travel down the road, which bike you are on, how fast you going/gear your in, terrain/hills etc, tire pressures...

My 300 pro, gets bad "hourage" note I say hour instead of mileage/kilometer'dge. I know a buddy rode a 08 280 on a 25 mile loop, at the ute cup, missed a turn on lap one, thinks it cost him a mile, he had to push the bike that mile to the pits I think he said...

Problem is for that calculation, he carried 1 - 20 oz bottle of fuel and added it to the bike somewhere in the loop. my 300 runs out quicker, friend on his 250 had plenty of fuel left over without the spare fuel.

Id say fill some (at least 2) pop bottles with fuel, tape to fenders with duct tape, maybe an extra in butt pack, and go on a test run, until you run out. hopefully in a big circle type path around camp, so you can cheat the mileage back to camp when you do run out... Then measure time (if you dont have a speedo especially) dump the bottles into tank and head back... should give you some idea. I can figure about 2.5 hours of riding an event, for a tank of fuel in the '08, '10, or '12 300 pro... definitely not racing down any trails while doing this though for those 2 hours, but our trials area isnt that big, so speed isnt needed...

My favorite disclaimer, "Your Mileage May Vary", seems pretty much spot-on for this post...

I was setting out a trial and wanted the event to be the longest loop inc sections I could get out of a modern day bike on one tank of gas, app 3 ltr the number I came up with was 16 mi, all off road.

I was setting out a trial and wanted the event to be the longest loop inc sections I could get out of a modern day bike on one tank of gas, app 3 ltr the number I came up with was 16 mi, all off road.

That's a fair indication, it would be on a gasser 125, probably a bit of road work here and there to get where I want to go then just play about.

It has a speedo/clock, so I really should check it first before I go, canny really be ersed carrying spare fuel when just out for a fanny about

Tha seems reasonable yet optimum depending on the route and speeds. I would back that off to around 12 to be on the safe side. :rolleyes:

2-3 hrs on my 07 Rev3 200. Two hours if trail style riding, easy three if just mincing around doing sections etc. My Beta also has a minor fuel dribble issue which is common. It has also had the "fix" done to stop this but is only a tiny dribble and not constant.

Edited by pindie

I did an 80 mile ride (completely flat boring ride) with an average speed of around 45 mph on a 01 Montesa 315r. That was all on one tank plus I had a 32oz bottle of extra gas with me(I don't remember for sure if I had to use it). It's a 2 liter tank? plus maybe about another liter. So that's what about 100 miles per gallon if you are cruising.

Edited by sweetgas

I did an 80 mile ride (completely flat boring ride) with an average speed of around 45 mph on a 01 Montesa 315r. That was all on one tank plus I had a 32oz bottle of extra gas with me(I don't remember for sure if I had to use it). It's a 2 liter tank? plus maybe about another liter. So that's what about 100 miles per gallon if you are cruising.

Mayby a 2 gallon tank! :rolleyes: