Cyl Head Gasket

paulmac

Hello Feetupfun, I am not sure on the 198`s as I have never had one apart. I know the 158`s and the 182`s all had no head gasket. All the Pursangs from the MK 4 250`s did not have one either. There was a few that had one but I am not sure which ones. If it has the liner protruding from the barrel and a channel in the head then it does not use a head gasket. The 198`s were at the starts of Bultaco`s troubles so they might of been mixing and matching parts by then. I owned a 199 A in the early eighties which I could never buy rings for. It was not until the early 2000`s that a friend restored my old one and found out it was a 340. It should have been a 326. So yours having a head gasket does not surprise me one little bit David. Bully Lover.

Hello Feetupfun, I am not sure on the 198`s as I have never had one apart. I know the 158`s and the 182`s all had no head gasket. All the Pursangs from the MK 4 250`s did not have one either. There was a few that had one but I am not sure which ones. If it has the liner protruding from the barrel and a channel in the head then it does not use a head gasket. The 198`s were at the starts of Bultaco`s troubles so they might of been mixing and matching parts by then. I owned a 199 A in the early eighties which I could never buy rings for. It was not until the early 2000`s that a friend restored my old one and found out it was a 340. It should have been a 326. So yours having a head gasket does not surprise me one little bit David. Bully Lover.

Yes my M198 head has no recess and the sleeve end is flush with the barrel.

Isn't it true that Bultaco used solid copper cyl. head gaskets across the range for a short time?

I can confirm that (at least) Pursang Mk. 9 250 & 370 and Sherpa models 198 & 199 had gaskets as standard, as I have some. They were not included in OE gasket sets for these bikes, either.

However, as I am unable to access my parts info. at the moment I cannot say when they were phased out; my 199B has a spigoted head joint just like the Bulto engines of old.

It's conceivable therefore that a model 198 had a gasket, "A" and/or "B" variants did not.

To give you an idea, here are some Pursang gaskets (250 top, 370 below) :-

BultacoPursangMk9Cylinderheadgaskets-top250bottom370.jpg

(I'm unable to photo the Sherpa ones at the moment, but they are very similar.)

Edited by Lorenzo

Isn't it true that Bultaco used solid copper cyl. head gaskets across the range for a short time?

I can confirm that (at least) Pursang Mk. 9 250 & 370 and Sherpa models 198 & 199 had gaskets as standard, as I have some.

However, as I am unable to access my parts info. at the moment I cannot say when they were phased out; my 199B has a spigoted head joint just like the Bulto engines of old.

It's conceivable therefore that a model 198 had a gasket, "A" and/or "B" variants did not.

To give you an idea, here are some Pursang gaskets :

BultacoPursangMk9Cylinderheadgaskets-top250bottom370.jpg

(I'm unable to photo the Sherpa ones at the moment, but they are very similar.)

My M198 gasket appears the same shape as the upper gaskets in the photo - ie both the inner and outer edges make full circles