Swm Tl320 1982 - Suspension Queries

reginald

Hi Guys,

I noticed that the shocks are not parallel - the top being narrower. Based on the theory that this will put some side load on the shock pistons I was thinking NJBs might be the go? Any thoughts? Has anybody retrofitted any brand with heim style bearings aka last model of Husky twin shocks?

Also can anybody recommend a supplier of betor springs - 98kgs c-d grade ability ?

This site has springs, seals and dust covers as a deal - Betor kit.

Any advice welcomed.

Hello Reginald. If you are after Betor fork seals KTM seals to fit a SX 65 2002-2009 are the correct size and you only need one seal a side. For springs the best bet is Bultaco UK as they are a definite improvment over stock old ones. They also have dust covers in the round style instead of the one with the straight lines on them which might look a bit strange on a SWM. I have NJB expert shocks on my Sherpa which lean in at the top rather badly and they have lasted a full year or a bit more and they are still fine. They have a normal rubber bush in them. I have also used Fornaleas? as well and they had heim joints on them and they worked well but they wore out. They were put on the bike in the early eighties as well so it is not surprising. One other thing is the postage from England is usually a lot cheaper than from the US. Not sure why as they are both about the same distance away. I hope this helps. Bully Lover.

Thanks Bully Lover [and fellow Brisbanite - i was born there], definitely something to think about.

Great solution to fork seals - 2 parts better than 4 - do you know rough cost?

Are the fork springs are different rate and do they need preload spacers?

Im interested in the NJB claim for their "Trik shox" in terms of low friction bushes adding to the quality of the action. I'm guessing these are different to expert shocks??

Hello Reginald. As far as I can remember the KTM fork seals were about $27.00 Aus.I got mine from a Team Moto shop in Ipswich and they were Ariete seals. I think the fork springs only come in one rate I think but they were about two inches longer than my old Bultaco ones so I have taken all of the spacers out of mine except for a small alloy one just over a quarter of an inch long. Bogwheel also bought a pair as well and he agreed with me, what a difference. Last but not least the NJB Trix Shox are different to the expert ones. The expert ones were cheap. I think the Trix Shox are also alloy. Bully Lover.

• 1 month later...

So i am currently ordering betor shocks 360mm 50 lb springs [cheaper than replacing my falcon springs and new collars and rebuild] and pursang length springs from Sammy Miller Products......$153 aus dollars plus freight for both!!!! see how we go.

At this price I might even investigate pressing heim style bushes into the Betors.

• 2 months later...

So I have test ridden the bike with the suspension upgrades. The Betor expert shocks are set on second softest preload and are 360mm in length, the falcons i had on were 355mm but maybe 40lb springs and some spec. sheets showed 355mm as standard from memory. The SMP hard fork springs [ pursang?] were approx. 60mm proud of the top of fork and i used 5wt oil in one set of forks with 220ml and they were topping out a fair bit. On a second set of forks used 5 wt and ATf mixed 6040 respectively [dont ask - i think i been in the shed too long] and no topping out and great action. Ive gained some ground clearance, the wheels feel very planted and its taking bigger hits [for me anyway] like they are not there.

lesson learned - one set of betor forks has a 10mm deep fork seal so the double up bully 35mms don't fit.