Restoring My 247

chris_

I have been over to the intros to say "hello" and now hoping to pick up some much needed advice as I start out on getting my "new" 247 up and running again.

The frame number is 21M 12511 which I understand makes it late 1973 or early 1974

IMG_0774.jpg

There are a few "issues" including non-original bits such as the engine, plus some bodging in the past. For example, the rear mudguard is too high and has caused the damage to the seat, plus the front wheel appears to be the wrong way round. There is also a fair amount of mechanical work needed as every wear and tear item looks to be thoroughly worn out.

I can't wait to get started!

Hi Chris, my dad has a tank/seat unit for sale if you need it. Send me a personal message if you are interested. cheers Stu

That looks fantastic, and there are certainly some wonderful bikes out there for inspiration.

One thing that I read in the article was about getting his frame repainted where he mentions; "

Next mystery for me.....

This sorry looking thing is what came with the bike as an air filter. I have looked at my parts lists and manuals and can't see anything similar. Bearing in mind that I have a mk 1 engine with an Amal 626 carb, is this the correct type of assembly? Has it been bashed about to try to get it to fit into a later frame do you think?

IMG_0826-1.jpg

IMG_0828-1.jpg

All the air box/filter assemblies that I have seen so far look more like this (or with two intake pipes)

product-1837.jpg(image from www.vallmoto.com)

Chris, based on age, the first filter is correct for your motor. The second one is correct for your frame. I need the first one and I have the second one ( in good nick) and would be willing to trade you, only obstacle is the cost of postage.

I appreciate the offer Martin. I have got a rough, later one coming via eBay in the next few days to see whether I can get everything to match up and fit. If a later air filter will fit my carb, then a trade for a later one in good nick sounds like a good idea. The filter that I have got now wasn't attached when I collected the bike, and judging by the holes drilled into the mount, I am not sure how successful a fit (bodge) it was in the first place.

Chris, the old style filter did not mount to the frame, the only attachment point was at the carb.. It was screwed on to the carb intake.The flange was threaded and that was it. It looks like your flange is missing the threads and has 2 notches in it that shouldn't be there. The rest of the filter is correct. The 2 clamps are the "Mikalor" brand also.

As for the later style filter the mounting bracket was not there for the first few years of this style, it came later. Both were good. You may also find that the rubber elbow form the old one is too short to be used with the new filter. The newer style had a longer one. If my memory is correct......

Either way hang onto the old one someone will want it.

The next oddity is the front hub

IMG_0872-1.jpg

IMG_0889-1.jpg

IMG_0877-1.jpg

There are three bearings plus a spacer. The inside of the hub is not symmetrical, with a 14 mm recess on one side, and 17 mm on the other. My manual with the exploded diagram shows four bearings. Can anyone tell me which bearing number(s) I need to replace these?

ETA

Many thanks to Pete at Inmotion for his help with this. It should have one bearing and one oil seal on each side.

Edited by Chris_

Good stuff ! I can follow along as I do mine and feel free to ask for any photos etc. Mine is also a M21 but with left side shift.

And speaking of photos, things have changed here since I was last here, and I can't find where this rich text editor option is so I can attach photos. Didn't see it in any settings page like the help says it is.

Good stuff ! I can follow along as I do mine and feel free to ask for any photos etc. Mine is also a M21 but with left side shift.

And speaking of photos, things have changed here since I was last here, and I can't find where this rich text editor option is so I can attach photos. Didn't see it in any settings page like the help says it is.

Hi, for the photos, I use Photobucket which is as simple as it can be for posting forum pictures. I find it much easier to link to there, rather than uploading to a forum.

I also have an earlier frame (# 4751) which is in really good condition and requires no work other than blasting and powder coating. This earlier frame is also the right year for the tank and wheels that I have. It should be a fairly straightforward job to rebuild into this earlier frame. In the UK there is also the bonus that if you register pre 1973 vehicle, you pay no road tax as it is classed as a "historic vehicle".

It is interesting to see that there are several differences between these frames even though they are only a couple of years apart. They also have different swing arm pivots with the early one having two bolts into a shaft and the later one, two nuts on a long shaft within a tube. Either way, they are a pig to remove.

IMG_0885-1.jpg

Also would like to know Chris the kind of exhaust system your bike has; the early one that crosses from left side of the barrel to right side of the bike underneath the seat and with no final silencer? Or the one with the final silencer?

Looking at the two frames that I now have, they are both different in the area of the exhaust and the mounting for the exhaust. They are both later types. The red frame (#4751) has the exhaust mount on the bend of the frame upright. The black frame (#12511) has the mount higher up, but the end has been "modified" at some point (you can still see a bit of welding wire attached!) The silencer fitted was a mk1/early silencer that had been adapted (with a saw and a hammer) to fit the frame, and to exit on the left (if looking from the rear)

IMG_0919-1.jpg