Ty 175 Not Starting When Hot... Any Ideas?

jimmer

Hi folks...help!

Last couple of events i've done, bike has started fine when cold...out the garage. But during the day, when i've stopped and switched off between sections its pig to restart.

I notice i hear a loud electrical 'crack' when it fires from cold, and never get the same later during the day. when i hear the crack it inevitably starts. When running its fine, usually ticks over though occasionally dies on tick over when hot. I am definitely no expert so any explanations please keep simple.

Many thanks

Jim - with sore right leg...

I notice i hear a loud electrical 'crack' when it fires from cold, and never get the same later during the day. when i hear the crack it inevitably starts. Jim - with sore right leg...

I am not sure why you can hear an electrical "crack".....that tells me you are getting some sort of arcing that occurs outside of the engine and spark plug. Perhaps you have a broken high tension wire, problem with the coil....or some fault that allows a spark to jump a gap that you can hear. I am not sure why this sound would go away when warm.

Thanks folks,

Yes the plug cap 'seems' fine - all the electrical bits were new in the last 18 months, thats not to say something is amiss and i am thinking there must be an electrical fault somewhere. Just been out and it wouldn't start cold this time either - but have put a new plug in and it started fine. What is the cost/difficulty of fitting electronic ignition Bruno?

Thanks folks,

Yes the plug cap 'seems' fine - all the electrical bits were new in the last 18 months, thats not to say something is amiss and i am thinking there must be an electrical fault somewhere. Just been out and it wouldn't start cold this time either - but have put a new plug in and it started fine. What is the cost/difficulty of fitting electronic ignition Bruno?

Electronic ignition is easy to fit but does cost around

The ignition is dead easy to fit, you get step by step instructions with it. Try a new condenser and points they are only cheap, then coil, I have got a stator plate with new points and condenser for sale on Ebay at the moment and a new coil have a look !!!!

G'day stork

Well the plug was out between events and looked fine so I am not sure the mix is the problem but I am open to suggestions. Taking it out tonight it was pretty oily but I think that's coz I never got it started. What you thinking?