Easiest Bike To Hop

sweetgas

I am getting back into trials. :) I haven't decided which bike to buy yet. Please help.

My number one (or two) factor when buying a new bike is how easy it is to hop /maneuver

I have ridden a Montesa 4RT and an older Cota and they were both very difficult to hop. After one 360 I was worn out. I have heard that the Gas Gas is much easier to move, but how does it compare to other bikes?

I weigh about 175.

I am buying a brand new bike.

I am /was a expert rider.

I know that weight has something to do with it, but my old Fantic was heavier than the Montesa and was way easier to hop... but maybe the Montesas I rode were setup for like 80 pound riders??

so - can someone please compare how easy the Ossa, Scorpa, Sherco, Beta, Gas Gas, Montesa, and any other bikes are to hop and maneuver

other factors I am considering when buying a new bike are:

having to mix the gas (2stroke vs 4)

how the power comes on (loved the Montesa 4 stroke power but have heard bad things about other 4 stroke's power - Sherco's I think?)

availability and price (aka no Montesa for me)

do you have to use race gas or will pump gas be fine

build quality and reliability

Edited by sweetgas

Hey,

i find the Gas Gas the lightest bike and the easiest to hop and fire up steps

it isn't the easiest bike to ride but i think its the best you can get for the better rider (mine is a 2010 the 2011 on are more stable)

i had a 4 rt and a 4stroke sherco before and the power delivery on a 250 Gas Gas is a lot smoother and it grips very good and it has the best suspension of them all

i have no experience on a ossa so can't comment on that.

best regards bob

Hey,

i find the Gas Gas the lightest bike and the easiest to hop and fire up steps

it isn't the easiest bike to ride but i think its the best you can get for the better rider (mine is a 2010 the 2011 on are more stable)

i had a 4 rt and a 4stroke sherco before and the power delivery on a 250 Gas Gas is a lot smoother and it grips very good and it has the best suspension of them all

i have no experience on a ossa so can't comment on that.

best regards bob

thank you! thats the type of info I was hoping to hear.

what makes one bike easier to ride than another? what made the 2011 more stable?

Gas Gas is the most popular brand right? I assume that is because they are the best bang for the buck?

I am looking for the best bang. Don't really care about the buck. (but I do still care about reliability)

Edited by sweetgas

I loved my Raga 300 Gasser until the gearbox shift drum split and wrecked it. I then got a Beta 200. I love it more!

Yes you need to mix oil in fuel on a 2T. For the amount of fuel you use it is no big deal. I enjoy as it adds science to every ride.

I loved my Raga 300 Gasser until the gearbox shift drum split and wrecked it. I then got a Beta 200. I love it more!

Yes you need to mix oil in fuel on a 2T. For the amount of fuel you use it is no big deal. I enjoy as it adds science to every ride.

what year was your Raga? did they fix the potential for that splitting on newer bikes? why do you like your Beta more?

Edited by sweetgas

Gas Gas, Sherco or Beta would be your standards. They all have a bit different ergonomics, and their own quirks. Reliability seems to lean toward the latter two, with light weight and performance back left.

I prefer the middle route, yet you must make your own decisions.

Reports on the Ossa seem quite high, and I would not discount a Scorpa as they seem a good bike with the Sherco motor and well built. :thumbup:

Sorry but everyone is wrong and to be frank all will favor their "own" bike for no reason to get their bike to hop.

All world class riders are world class riders because of their skill not because of the bike that they ride. Don't buy a brand of bike thinking it will make you a better rider. All new bikes will have the "wow I'm riding better" effect.

Test a few brands and sizes and go to a few trials and ask the guys why they ride their own bike....(go to some shops to find a test ride)

Easiest bike to hop is the one with the rebound damping turned off..... it will also get the worst traction.

Get a feel for the best bike for YOU. Get to understand what importer will give best warrantee support. Get the Ryan Young Training DVD.

Sorry but everyone is wrong and to be frank all will favor their "own" bike for no reason to get their bike to hop.

All world class riders are world class riders because of their skill not because of the bike that they ride. Don't buy a brand of bike thinking it will make you a better rider. All new bikes will have the "wow I'm riding better" effect.

Test a few brands and sizes and go to a few trials and ask the guys why they ride their own bike....(go to some shops to find a test ride)

Easiest bike to hop is the one with the rebound damping turned off..... it will also get the worst traction.

Get a feel for the best bike for YOU. Get to understand what importer will give best warrantee support. Get the Ryan Young Training DVD.

So the Montesas I rode probably just had their rebound damping turned way ON?

I wish I lived in a state where trials was really popular and had more than 0 trials shops...

Edited by sweetgas

thank you! thats the type of info I was hoping to hear.

what makes one bike easier to ride than another? what made the 2011 more stable?

Gas Gas is the most popular brand right? I assume that is because they are the best bang for the buck?

I am looking for the best bang. Don't really care about the buck. (but I do still care about reliability)

from 2011 Gas Gas has a better frame more stable and a bit more grip,

a Gas Gas is a reliable bike now (the first pro had some problems) it just needs more care than a montesa

check bolts, change gearbox oil and airfilter in time and keep it clean and no problem

the are competition ready for the highest level others aren't ( rear shock of a sherco is rubbish)

no needs for tuning parts its all on there.

be careful with 300 and 280's they are very powerful and not so forgiving

best regards bob

best regards bob

I think there should be a sticky or FAQ or something that includes unbiased data of each bike brand. All the info in one place!

Most peoples first thread have to do with getting a bike and not knowing exactly which one to get.

It's not as simple as just ride it and see what you like the best.

It's not as simple as just listening to someone saying I like my 20xx ___ bike.

At least not for someone who wants an in depth analysis when making a decision. I like to go overboard in how much I know about each bike. (Even if I don't buy it)

For example: I didn't know that the first Gas Gas Pro had some problems and that they need more care than Montesas. Also after some digging I found out that the first year of the Ossa had some problems. But why did I have to dig? and what were the exact common problems? What other bikes have problems? What is good on the ABC bike and what is good on the XYZ bike?

It would be cool to have all that data in one place.

I want to know things like Sherco's need new linkages each year or that Scorpas have more power and needs less maintenance than a Sherco. What mechanical problems can one expect from each bike. What things to consider or what features to look for when buying a bike.

A new person to trials probably won't think about how easy the air filter is to change until after they own the bike. So is one easier to change that another? If so then lets put that data someplace. Let people submit everything they know about each bike in one place. (or one place for each bike) There is a lot of little things scattered around in threads all over the place, But you won't know what to search for until you know what there is to search for. (How would me or a new person know to avoid XYZ bike because of something like a transmission problem unless we search specifically for that)

Another example:

Which bike's clutchs had a dragging problem? I know that the Montesa Cota315R clutch would never feel fully disengaged when you pull the lever in. Any others? What years? For some this is a factor. Others don't care.

My Raga 300 was a 2005. It was great fun but a bit too "in your face". I don't know if they have solved the Gbox issue but once was enough for me. The Raga has exotic metal cases which were damaged and these cost a lot.

I got the 200 on the recomendation of someone who knew a lot more than I. It is a 2007. It's light, nimble and in good condition. I paid 1800 for it last year. I find it much easier to do anything on at all. It makes me laugh how it flatters my biffoon approach. I have ridden it twice as much with no problems so far. The Betas seem solidly built (stators aside). I am sure I will get snags as with all bikes at some stage.

The only bike since thats caught my eye is the Ossa 280i. Trouble is it costs a lot more and I may have to admit I am not good enough for 280cc. I would however by a brand new 200 on the understanding that I have an excellent light, tough and useful weapon that does not want to lynch me when it gets the chance.