When Sections Were Proper Sections?

gizza5

I don't know, things were different back then - there was less money in the sport back then, I guess and the WTC was in it's infancy - so people would have a crack at it, down to the Club expert rider who'd turn up on a Bult 325 on the back of a Ford Capri, as long as he had a relevant licence to compete

A good example of that sort of camaraderie/competition 30 years ago, IS today's Scott and SSDT trials that still capture that essence of the sport of Trials

SSDT & Scott - Money isn't in it, there are no TV rights - a good club rider can get a new bike out of a crate, run it in and start alongside a factory works rider on a trick bike.............they can ride the same section, one route and the club rider can at the end's cards record the same score as the factory rider perhaps

That's the sport, that's the craic and that's why it's so popular and over-subscribed year on year

Joe Public can compete alongside their sporting heroes, if they so choose

One route, one man, one bike and winner takes all

Compare that to some contrived, super human sections in WTC, that only 15 of the world's top riders can manage, because they ride everyday to attain that skill level on supertrick bikes

That formula is becoming boring, even an avid trials rider is starting to find watching it, so boring

Perhaps we will go full circle, who knows

30 year's ago a British round of the WTC was like a Scott or SSDT, it was one man, one bike and one route - but although the sections were harder, even a club Expert could put in a decent ride on his home turf and live the dream of riding amongst the best in the world....... that day

Sadly that is no longer true today in WTC and Trials is for that....... a lot poorer

Ah yes, that was me in the mid '70's to mid '80's 'til our kids started arriving !

Having had my interest renewed by my son and an old twinshock, we went to a local trial. I came back in quite a confused state, I couldn't believe how complicated the sections were with so much choice - clubman .........expert routes etc ! The riders were doing all sorts of things which did not compute, from virtually lying on the ground stationary, stopping with their feet down. Non of whom were scoring a five.

There was a lot of clever youngsters stopping and jumping/hopping with their feet up and then roaring up unbelievably slippery banks from a standstill, which was very impressive and way beyond anything I could ever have attempted in my younger days!

The easier routes looked fine for my abilities on a twinshock back in the day.

I was an expert in those simpler days and thoroughly enjoyed rubbing shoulders with the Rathmells and Lampkins at the odd national and British Championship round and riding or attempting the same sections and comparing you results with theirs, which could be quite humourous !

I watched the first video and stayed with it only for 5/6 minutes because I know that I couldn't ride such sections now or then. Whereas, I always had a belief that I could in my day. Although I would still allow stopping with feet up only, anything else must have forward movement.

My other observation is that the new style bikes seem very awkward to paddle out of a section, I have a vivid memory of seeing Martin Lampkin plowing out of a section sitting firmly on the seat of his Bultaco once he had had three dabs in a muddy section. (St David's Trial I think).

Name one rider who will participate at the top level if the rules went no stop?

I agree with you in some aspects, but if you think that the way things are at the moment is sustainable (which I am sure you can't possibly think that?) then a large percentage of the trials community don't?

Will the WTC be here in a few years time probably yes, but you wouldn't bet your house on it with its current format, things will have to change whether it be the rules, the venues, the sections etc.

No good digging you heels in and saying everything is alright!!

I have said before maybe as an intrim bring all the rounds back to Europe, use one round of each of the countries National Championship to cut the cost, then you got a series, ok it is detremental to the rest of the World but the bulk of the good riders are in Europe?

The BTC will be intersting this year and I am sure most of the riders probably don't want the rule change, but lets see what happens? At least we are trying?

I don't know, things were different back then - there was less money in the sport back then, I guess and the WTC was in it's infancy - so people would have a crack at it, down to the Club expert rider who'd turn up on a Bult 325 on the back of a Ford Capri, as long as he had a relevant licence to compete

A good example of that sort of camaraderie/competition 30 years ago, IS today's Scott and SSDT trials that still capture that essence of the sport of Trials

SSDT & Scott - Money isn't in it, there are no TV rights - a good club rider can get a new bike out of a crate, run it in and start alongside a factory works rider on a trick bike.............they can ride the same section, one route and the club rider can at the end's cards record the same score as the factory rider perhaps

That's the sport, that's the craic and that's why it's so popular and over-subscribed year on year

Joe Public can compete alongside their sporting heroes, if they so choose

One route, one man, one bike and winner takes all

Compare that to some contrived, super human sections in WTC, that only 15 of the world's top riders can manage, because they ride everyday to attain that skill level on supertrick bikes

That formula is becoming boring, even an avid trials rider is starting to find watching it, so boring

Perhaps we will go full circle, who knows

30 year's ago a British round of the WTC was like a Scott or SSDT, it was one man, one bike and one route - but although the sections were harder, even a club Expert could put in a decent ride on his home turf and live the dream of riding amongst the best in the world....... that day

Sadly that is no longer true today in WTC and Trials is for that....... a lot poorer

Its called progression of the sport. Even btc level there are only 10 who can do the top route, and the ssdt no longer attracts the worlds best, sadly.

Craic at the scott? Dont think so.

I agree with you in some aspects, but if you think that the way things are at the moment is sustainable (which I am sure you can't possibly think that?) then a large percentage of the trials community don't?

Will the WTC be here in a few years time probably yes, but you wouldn't bet your house on it with its current format, things will have to change whether it be the rules, the venues, the sections etc.

No good digging you heels in and saying everything is alright!!

I have said before maybe as an intrim bring all the rounds back to Europe, use one round of each of the countries National Championship to cut the cost, then you got a series, ok it is detremental to the rest of the World but the bulk of the good riders are in Europe?

The BTC will be intersting this year and I am sure most of the riders probably don't want the rule change, but lets see what happens? At least we are trying?

Trying to do what precisly.

There is a big difference between what is sustainable (think you didnt mean that word) and why the wtc is having problems in getting larg entries, but who said you must have 30 plus riders? Times change sections are incredibly difficult and only a few can manage them, but this is the same in Spain Italy and France aswell.

From the meeting at the ACU it was clear that pretty much every top rider is against no stop.

If its such a good idea then why not the ladies and the youth british champs aswell?

Looks like it's hit a brick wall though, maybe time for a change of emphasis

I know in the US, the FIM Finance Requirements has put the chance of someone hosting a WR here in the "very unlikely position".

And no doubt about it, the sport was bigger when the sections were easier......at all levels.