Gas Gas Chain And Sprockets

pancho247

Hi I have a 2008 gas gas, i have never changed the chain and sprokets but the chain is super slack and the cam things on the back wheel spindle are on max so can push back wheel any further back

is there a standar chain length i can bu that will fit straight on or will i have to buy a chain tool and adjust the length myself.

I plan to put new sporckets on as well, same size as before, think its a 10 tooth on the front but cant remember the back size.

thanks

Hi I have a 2008 gas gas, i have never changed the chain and sprokets but the chain is super slack and the cam things on the back wheel spindle are on max so can push back wheel any further back

is there a standar chain length i can bu that will fit straight on or will i have to buy a chain tool and adjust the length myself.

I plan to put new sporckets on as well, same size as before, think its a 10 tooth on the front but cant remember the back size.

thanks

Chain length depends on what sprocket sizes you have, chains are available in all lengths

If you are happy with the gearing you have now just count teeth and the links including the split link.

many dealers just keep a stock of long chains because you can always shorten them its not worth buying a chain tool, just grind the ends off the rivets with an angle grinder only takes a minute. :thumbup:

10/42 sprockets 102 link chain,spot on for gas gas pro

The 10/42 combo is by far the most popular on this side of the pond. Stock is 11/42 and in some cases, 11/41, which is a little high geared for the lower class riders and tends to get them where they want to go a little sooner than they are ready for....:) I run an 11/44 ratio on my bike, which is somewhat in between and works well for me.

Jon

The 10/42 combo is by far the most popular on this side of the pond. Stock is 11/42 and in some cases, 11/41, which is a little high geared for the lower class riders and tends to get them where they want to go a little sooner than they are ready for....:) I run an 11/44 ratio on my bike, which is somewhat in between and works well for me.

Jon

I am on 10/42 aswell :thumbup:

Its a bit of personal preference

Cheapest way is try a different front sprockets 1 tooth more & 1 less then see what you like :thumbup:

Yeah i think ill try it. Already got a 42 on back. So it'll be a cheap change. I tried hawks nest today rich and seemed quite hard. You'll have to show me that place near congalton:-)

would that be a good set up for older bikes too? I have a 2000 280txt

Mike

Mike,

As I remember, most of us ran a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket

in the older bikes also, just like the Pro models.

Jon

Yeah i think ill try it. Already got a 42 on back. So it'll be a cheap change. I tried hawks nest today rich and seemed quite hard. You'll have to show me that place near congalton:-)

I was there last Sat the stream was deeper and flowing faster than usual, Got my feet wet. Send me a PM when you're next playing!

• 6 months later...