Starting Problem

juzz80

Went out today for a practice on my bike which I have recently had rebuilt, she is a bit of a bugger to start and when she does she cuts out a soon as she fires up. When she fires up she will run good as gold for ages, a couple of times I stalled it and it struggled to fire up again, and even with a warm engine it needs some choke to fire up. Anyone got any ideas why it would be cutting out?

Cheers justin

Have you done the basics and cleaned the carb out? I've had similar issues on my 02 and it looks like I had some muck somewhere for about the last 6 months. I've cleaned it and cleaned it, maybe time for new jets for me.

The bike usually starts first kick in the garage, yet I get it to a trial and it runs for about 2 seconds in the car park then blurghhh. Sods law. :wall:

Sometimes it floods and sometimes its dry as a bone. My slapdash cure has always been putting a little fuel down the plug hole to start it then it seems fine all day. Its a pain getting to the plug when the tank doesn't fit properly.

Leaving the fuel on for the journey to the trial has been one cure lately which perhaps suggests a lack of fuel when its been stood.

I'd be interested to see what suggestions you get as this may help me out too!

Rich

If you've done the obvious, carb plug etc, it sounds like the crankshaft oil seal. Needs the choke when warm as its pulling air past the seal making it too lean to start off the pilot jet.

It happened on my 05 290 when it was less than two years old and had not had a lot of use. Good luck, hope its something simple.

Regards Michael

She is a 2001, she has just had a complete rebuild, all new seals etc. the carb to was stripped and cleaned. But the one thing I haven't done is a new spark plug :-( il get on on and see how it goes, also was goin to get her to me mates shop and get him to set up the carb..

Cheers all