Modern Forks On Ty175

owen

WOW, I posted yesterday and looked this morning and nearly fell off my seat, I think I hit a raw nerve somewhere...

For now the TY175 forks will stay, the magical springs are a good suggestion as I was only trying to gauge opinions and options for the winter rebuild!

As for me, I'm a novice who wants to enjoy the sport with a obsessive ability for messing around and trying to make the bike better for me, I know the bike is better than me but why stop and wait for the ratio to chance in my favour, if the bike can be improved in a way that I feel is appropriate and is legal, they why shouldn't I. After all, whether you do it for fun, compete at club level or in the world champions, you must enjoy what you do and building the bike is as much part of it for me as competing!!

As for the bike, its something that someone else had started and I just finished off. Its a TY175 with a tighter fork angle, reverse top yoke, repositioned rock shocks,lower pegs, modded air box and so on and so on, i like it, unless someone else is paying the bill, then thats all that matters.

I've worked in the motor trade all my working life, i come into contact with road and race cars regularly, a race car built well never stops progressing as far as modifications go and in the classic race car world, its even more so, enjoyment is the key word.

As for JonV8's comments, I'm ready for Binegar on the 11th, and building a BSA Bantam D1 for a friend for the same time, hopefully it'll be ready, it'll be nice to see you there Jon after your past good encouragement.

Anyway, where's my welder, i'm off to graft that turbo to the TY now...

WOW, I posted yesterday and looked this morning and nearly fell off my seat, I think I hit a raw nerve somewhere...

For now the TY175 forks will stay, the magical springs are a good suggestion as I was only trying to gauge opinions and options for the winter rebuild!

As for me, I'm a novice who wants to enjoy the sport with a obsessive ability for messing around and trying to make the bike better for me, I know the bike is better than me but why stop and wait for the ratio to chance in my favour, if the bike can be improved in a way that I feel is appropriate and is legal, they why shouldn't I. After all, whether you do it for fun, compete at club level or in the world champions, you must enjoy what you do and building the bike is as much part of it for me as competing!!

As for the bike, its something that someone else had started and I just finished off. Its a TY175 with a tighter fork angle, reverse top yoke, repositioned rock shocks,lower pegs, modded air box and so on and so on, i like it, unless someone else is paying the bill, then thats all that matters.

I've worked in the motor trade all my working life, i come into contact with road and race cars regularly, a race car built well never stops progressing as far as modifications go and in the classic race car world, its even more so, enjoyment is the key word.

As for JonV8's comments, I'm ready for Binegar on the 11th, and building a BSA Bantam D1 for a friend for the same time, hopefully it'll be ready, it'll be nice to see you there Jon after your past good encouragement.

Anyway, where's my welder, i'm off to graft that turbo to the TY now...

Whats a "reverse top yoke" is it something to do with going backwards cos thats a 5 :chairfall:

Reserve yoke is my bad description for the bar clamps being cut and rewelded on backwards and therefore moving the bars forward more in relationship to the front axle line.

Hope this makes sense, if not then ask others on the forum, they'll explain with a few more f##k and cr%p added in for good measure...

ho ho ho

Reserve yoke is my bad description for the bar clamps being cut and rewelded on backwards and therefore moving the bars forward more in relationship to the front axle line.

Hope this makes sense, if not then ask others on the forum, they'll explain with a few more f##k and cr%p added in for good measure...

ho ho ho

I know someone that will do this for you, cut off the "tiller" part, raise the clamps up and weld them in line with the top of the forks.

Tried it out and it does make the steering feel more direct, it also frees up room behind the bars to work in (so to speak)

Edited by Goudrons

Still have my TY 125 which was my first "bigger" trialsbike, the only big issue I had where the forks,

it took me only some weeks and after a "teenager + bike" flip I managed to bend the stanchions.

Back then when all spare parts where available not the biggest problem to get a new pair, beside

being very costly for me as a teenager in the beginning 80's.

As I have luckily got better in riding, I still feel unconfortabele with the fork as the standard

one feel somehow "flexy" too. To cure the softish steering feel a switch to a bigger stanchion

diameter was very desired from my side.

So I searched, found and bought a good working and priceworthy used fork and clamps from a TY 250

mono through E-Bay, (via international search), for my TY 125. Very recommended from my side!

So forks and clamps from the TY 250 twinshock or mono model do show up, - not too often -, but they do,

you just need some patience.

ooooh, that puts me in my place doesn't it. Well im too old and wise to rise to such comments if they are aimed at me but for the record the bike didn't cost much at all to bike and build, I do it for the pleasure I get from it and what I write on forums is how I would speak to someone in person without hiding behind a alias or false name, can all the doubters say the same...

Have fun with what ever you ride when ever you ride, just make sure its used...

What! I raced a Lotus Elan in 'Classics' and currently race an Historic Kart (Blow Hustler/Bultaco) and I can assure every one that the rows over elegibility and modifications are every bit as vociferous across the board in classic motorsport. In Historic Karting we are banned from having any anodised parts! Their club forum is a very fiery affair. However, as with trials, come raceday we all seem to have great fun!

Good luck with your rebuild

ooooh, that puts me in my place doesn't it. Well im too old and wise to rise to such comments if they are aimed at me but for the record the bike didn't cost much at all to bike and build, I do it for the pleasure I get from it and what I write on forums is how I would speak to someone in person without hiding behind a alias or false name, can all the doubters say the same...

Have fun with what ever you ride when ever you ride, just make sure its used...

It probably wasn't meant as a "go" at you, but there always is a satisfaction at beating somebody on more modern/trick machinery.

Just as a possible cheaper alternative than the TY250 and Yam mono forks I have fitted beamish suzuki forks to my majesty 175, these were cheaper to buy than the Yam ones, they have leading axle layout (my frame has a steeper steering head angle than standard TY) and they are larger diameter, this being the main reason I ditched the 175 forks as there was flex in them which translated as a vague feeling to the steering, also I have milled off the tiller type clamps and fitted conventional clamps to top yoke, they were a straight fit to the majesty (and yam) frame, I fitted a new alloy steering stem with new taper bearings, final thing with the suzuki forks is that they are genuine twin shock forks, there are opinions that the suzuki forks are not very good (and I have not used them in anger yet so can't comment) but forks can be fine tuned with springs, spring preloads, air pressure, oil weight and quantity (even alteration to damping if you want to go that far) so am pretty confident that getting the action sorted to my like isn't a problem.