Honda Engines

90vanman

Hi everybody, I have a tlr200 with a rattly engine, and I can't decide whether it is camchain, piston slap or posibly the bottom end. The point of this missive is, does anyone know where I can buy a rebuilt engine, or possibly have this one rebuilt fairly quickly, not too far from south essex/east London? I don't really want a secondhand replacement, as there is no comeback if it turns out to be as bad, failing this, is it possible to strip this engine whilst leaving the gearbox more or less intact in one half of the engine casing? Dave

Hi mate you can tell if you start the tlr 200 up and get it warm ,get a long screw driver and put the blade to the side of the barrel near to cam chain and do the same near the bootom end and put the handle to your ear and you will tell noise travels up the shaft hope this helps mate :thumbup:

Hi Dave,

Has the rattling noise suddenly come? So did you check the cam chain tensioner? I heard about TLRs with broken chain tensioner/ chain guide or blocked tensioner arm.

My TLR has done over 20.000 km onroad and the chain is still relatively quiet.

Bernhard

Hi Dave,

Has the rattling noise suddenly come? So did you check the cam chain tensioner? I heard about TLRs with broken chain tensioner/ chain guide or blocked tensioner arm.

My TLR has done over 20.000 km onroad and the chain is still relatively quiet.

Bernhard

Hi, it was a bit noisy when I bought it, but trying to adjust the chain tensioner does not make too much difference. The valve clearances are OK, and if a rod is poked down through the tensioner assembly, the tensioner can be felt vibrating. No obvious slack can be felt on the top chain sprocket, so I am led to believe it is something more serious. Thank you for your suggestions, it's nice to get such a quick response. Dave

Almost def chain and/ or tensioner. Unless someone has run low on oil they are fairly bullet proof. Check cam at same time, check tensioner was working okay and not broken. Depends on your ability they are simple to do, or if you take it to a bike mechanic they should sort it easily as Honda singles are text book really. :thumbup:

Almost def chain and/ or tensioner. Unless someone has run low on oil they are fairly bullet proof. Check cam at same time, check tensioner was working okay and not broken. Depends on your ability they are simple to do, or if you take it to a bike mechanic they should sort it easily as Honda singles are text book really. :thumbup:

Ability not a problem, but I don't want to split the cases unless absolutely essential, can't face poking all those bloody gears and bits back in the box for the sake of something simple,truth to tell I don't really want to go further than stripping the head and barrel off it to have the rebore (assuming I can find an o/s piston w/out a mortgage), but if necessary I will strip it for a full rebuild, but I would rather buy another lump ready to fit and run-in. Thanks to all of you for your help, Dave PS keep the ideas coming.

Get a manual, you don't need to split the motor to do the chain. Rotor cover and rotor off, side cover on l/h side of head will expose the chain. You should see what's going on with the chain. This can be done in the frame, if the top end needs to come off the engine needs to come out.

TLR motors are pretty thin on the ground, not the sort of thing you get rebuilt "off the shelf". Buy a good chain...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-TLR200-D-H-83-86-DID-CAM-CHAIN-/190593283030?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c603eb3d6#ht_624wt_698

Hi everybody, I have a tlr200 with a rattly engine, and I can't decide whether it is camchain, piston slap or posibly the bottom end. The point of this missive is, does anyone know where I can buy a rebuilt engine, or possibly have this one rebuilt fairly quickly, not too far from south essex/east London? I don't really want a secondhand replacement, as there is no comeback if it turns out to be as bad, failing this, is it possible to strip this engine whilst leaving the gearbox more or less intact in one half of the engine casing? Dave

TLR200 Engine Rebuild:

Gordon Farley Motorcycles, 16 Barrack Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 9ZR

Ask for Tim

Tel: 01483 538485

They helped out one of my fellow club members recently and did a quick turnaround (Kickstart idler gear had lost a tooth; so don't run TLRs without the KS stop on the frame...)

Edited by Esteve

• 1 month later...

Hi, thank you all who gave advice, I have fitted a big bore kit, new camchain and one or two other bits and am pleased to say that all is quiet now. The engine is running very sweetly, except for the crap carburation which gets more unreliable the hotter the engine gets. Oh well, c'est la vie!