Amal Mk1 Premier Concentric Carburetter

wallo

Has anyone tried one of these new carbs from AMAL yet, if so how do they perform?

I need to get a carb sorted for the new Ariel 500cc short stroke project and was wondering whether to go with one of these rather then spend ages tweaking a Villiers.

If anyone has tried one of these on an Ariel, any chance you could let me know the jetting?

Thanks all

I wrote a reply to this thread a couple of days ago - but the 1872 Bogsworth computer at work didnt upload it... My answer is that I havent tried one of the new premier carbs yet,I guess anything that can be done to slow down wear and maintain accuracy has to be good.The Concentric on my HT is a standard one with a brass slide from Surrey Cycles,which works well.But since I have fitted a modern conical K and N type filter I dont think it runs so well,and although I've played around with the pilot air screw it just wont come quite right.I'm going to experiment with a longer hose from the carb to filter,my old setup was about 7-8" long to the filter from the carb.I think this creates a very slight depression upstream from the carb which it appeared to like.

Years ago playing with Rover V8's in old Land Rovers we alaways got the best pickup with the original long inlet hoses onto the original filters.I'll post up my findings when I get time to fiddle.....

I wrote a reply to this thread a couple of days ago - but the 1872 Bogsworth computer at work didnt upload it... My answer is that I havent tried one of the new premier carbs yet,I guess anything that can be done to slow down wear and maintain accuracy has to be good.The Concentric on my HT is a standard one with a brass slide from Surrey Cycles,which works well.But since I have fitted a modern conical K and N type filter I dont think it runs so well,and although I've played around with the pilot air screw it just wont come quite right.I'm going to experiment with a longer hose from the carb to filter,my old setup was about 7-8" long to the filter from the carb.I think this creates a very slight depression upstream from the carb which it appeared to like.

Years ago playing with Rover V8's in old Land Rovers we alaways got the best pickup with the original long inlet hoses onto the original filters.I'll post up my findings when I get time to fiddle.....

Generally the first thing i would do is throw the K&N in the bin and build a proper airbox as large a volume as the available area allows. You then use a top mounted modern filter element that way the engine can draw from a large volume of stable air. Basically creating a plenum chamber or as near as you can get within the restrictions of a trials bike. Those K&N conical filters are the devils work and go against all best practice when working on ninduction systems. Also it's a good idea to use a link hose at least 2" dia which will also help. I've never found a trials bike yet that doesnt benifit from a bigger free flowing air box and those K&N's are just the opposite. A bit like those horrendous chrome pancake filters. Youve already hinted at this talking about using the long inlet hoses on Landies which would also give a larger reserve of stable air for the engine to draw from.

Generally the first thing i would do is throw the K&N in the bin and build a proper airbox as large a volume as the available area allows. You then use a top mounted modern filter element that way the engine can draw from a large volume of stable air. Basically creating a plenum chamber or as near as you can get within the restrictions of a trials bike. Those K&N conical filters are the devils work and go against all best practice when working on ninduction systems. Also it's a good idea to use a link hose at least 2" dia which will also help. I've never found a trials bike yet that doesnt benifit from a bigger free flowing air box and those K&N's are just the opposite. A bit like those horrendous chrome pancake filters. Youve already hinted at this talking about using the long inlet hoses on Landies which would also give a larger reserve of stable air for the engine to draw from.

I know, I know ! Trouble is I bought the bike as a non runner of 10 years and have done the min poss to get it to run.My idea is a process of "gradual improvement" rather than a strip and rebuild.(Too many other bikes/land Rovers in bits hanging around) The original setup which used plastic sink waste hose ! was mocked horribly when it was seen,so when it fell off I did the quick/cheap option.Trouble is my work is booked solid into next month,I'm 1/2 way through building a new chicken coup and my other bikes need work too.And I'm running our first trial of the year this weekend.I need a year off to get all me kit sorted out....

Nah,not a chance ! My promise to build a new chicken coup for the egg layers has been put off just too many times,My wife and kids have been moaning recently that I'm never around at weekends.(I thought they were glad to be rid of me....)

So this year I'm cutting down on trials,mainly concentrating on running the Bath Classics and the odd ride here and there.

Thinking about it there are still some Bantam and C15 bits hanging around from when I was a kid....

Agree totally with OTF, try one of these with a decent air filter oil (I use Partner Chain Saw oil) should make a differance.

http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21_231&products_id=933