2011 280cc As Lively As I Keep Reading? Gas Gas Newbie....

bigman

Hi guys

I have done abit of research through the forum and keep reading that the 280cc gasser is quite a handful, I am looking to change my 250 Evo soon, My plan was to change to a 300cc Evo Factory but there is also a very tidy 2011 Gas Gas 280 for a good price, which I am considering as an alternative. However I keep reading that the 280's tend to be quite a lively machine, I admit that i do like a lively bike (for a 250 my evo is more lively than alot of 250's I have ridden) also being around the 19st mark the bike does have to work!

So I suppose my question is, how do people find there 280's and if they have found them to be really lively has the fitment of a flywheel weight helped tame them much?

Thanks

Adam

I have a 250 2011 and its very snappy compared to my last Gas gas 300 07 model. I have ridden 280 and 300 2011 and found them to be smoother than my 250, so much so i put a flywheel weight on and that has changed the bike no end, rest as stock.

Lots can be done on Gas gas to tame them right down. Head inserts, flywheel weight, slow action throttle, base gaskets, head gasket, Inlet gasket and exhaust pipe.

Thanks for the reply Smalley! Thats starting to sound more appealing to me now! However I have also seen a 2010 Raga 300 that is much closer to me than the 2011 280, chassis and airbox wise is there much difference between these, they look pretty similar, however I assume that the Raga will have slightly lighter weight crank cases and abit more tuning etc?

Adam

If you feel a 250 evo is lively,a 280 or 300 gas gas would most likely be too much.Not much point buying a bike thats too powerful then trying to calm it down.I've recently changed from a 280 Gas Gas to a 290 evo and find the power delivery easier to use.Can you try the bikes you fancy at a trial?

If you feel a 250 evo is lively,a 280 or 300 gas gas would most likely be too much.Not much point buying a bike thats too powerful then trying to calm it down.I've recently changed from a 280 Gas Gas to a 290 evo and find the power delivery easier to use.Can you try the bikes you fancy at a trial?

Perhaps I didn't word it quite how I meant, I was saying that compared to most 250's my evo250 is lively, however occaisionaly I do feel that it lacks abit of power at times, what with me being abit on the larger side! I rode a friends Sherco 290 on more than one occaision and got on with it realy well! I have ridden a 2010 gasser 280, I remember it feeling really nice, but it was a while ago!

Adam

Having ridden all 3 (250, 280 and 300) and owned a 250 and 300, I have to say that the 280 is the most snatchy to ride. In my experience, the 300 is the smoothest (I currently have a 300 Raga - with a Dellorto carb).

I would put the order of smoothness as:

Of course this is only my opinion, I'm sure others would disagree.

Get yourself to the next GG open day and try them all out! Thats what made me go 300!

Cheers,

Wayne.

The 2010 Raga models were basically the introduction of the 2011 chassis, so you should be good to go with the '10 from a comparative standpoint of the frame. I had a 2010 Raga 250, and it had more punch to it than a stock 2011 250, so can only assume that the 300 would have quite a bit of bark to it...

Thanks for the replies guys, It is looking like I will be heading towards the 2010 300 Raga, after speaking to the guys at the dealer they said its one of the best condition bikes they have had in as second hand! And after reading about the different gasser engines the 300 is the one that I am leaning towards the most! I just have to hope that they offer a reasonable price for my Beta as a part exchange!

Quite looking forward to something abit different, however I am still unsure on the gold!

Adam

Edited by Bigman

Again, it only my opinion, but I think the Gold Raga of 2009/2010 are still the best looking trials bikes ever made!

Its a shame I only have a 2006! :( I would love a goldie! Although, I wouldn't want to ride it...just look at it and polish it :blush:

Go for gold :thumbup:

Again, it only my opinion, but I think the Gold Raga of 2009/2010 are still the best looking trials bikes ever made!

Its a shame I only have a 2006! :( I would love a goldie! Although, I wouldn't want to ride it...just look at it and polish it :blush:

Go for gold :thumbup:

Do you wear sovereigns n chains. ey i lovs me bling

• 3 months later...

Hi, anybody fancy helping a newbie out? i recently went from an o5 250 pro to a 2011 280 which already has a fly wheel weight, really wanted a 250 but it was goin cheap and i couldnt say no. the bike feels really good and i'm getting on with it but it feels a little bit too powerfull, i can manage but im very aware its a 280, can any of you guys advise on how i could tame it down a bit, have read about the reed block spacers, head spacers & slow action throttles but would like to know how much each option will effect it before i decided which route to take.

Cheers.

Hi, anybody fancy helping a newbie out? i recently went from an o5 250 pro to a 2011 280 which already has a fly wheel weight, really wanted a 250 but it was goin cheap and i couldnt say no. the bike feels really good and i'm getting on with it but it feels a little bit too powerfull, i can manage but im very aware its a 280, can any of you guys advise on how i could tame it down a bit, have read about the reed block spacers, head spacers & slow action throttles but would like to know how much each option will effect it before i decided which route to take.

Cheers.

Throttle, then developing your clutch control!!! The thing will not outride you if you use the clutch as a power control device! Takes better application.