Removal Of Rear Tyre

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but this is driving me nuts!

I'm new to bikes, recently bought a beta rev 3 trials bike, with a slow puncture on the rear, the leak is coming from some of the spokes.

The tyre says its tubeless, but i read somwhere if it has spokes, its got a tube, true?

Anyway i want to remove the tube and check it out, and possibly replace/fit a new tube.

I have tried using tyre levers and breaking the bead with two pieces of wood pressing down on the rim of the tyre, but everytime i push down the tyre seems

to sit back into place again making it very hard to anker the tyre up over the rim. Almost got the point where im gonna have to get it removed at a garage etc.

Any help and tips would be great as i'm really struggling to complete which seems a simple task. I've watched many motox videos of people removing tyres making it look

very easy but i just can't get it off!!

Cheers

Welcome!

The key is breaking the bead. I have used several 'DIY' methods over the years.

Support the wheel on 2 decent size blocks of wood so the rim is supported and the disc or sprocket is clear of the ground. Using careful balance (as all trials riders have!), position a garden spade on the tyre adjacent to the rim, and stand on it! Collect yourself from the old paint tins and find the wheel that went over the fence and repeat until succesful!

I've stopped doing that now and use a simple press made by screwing a piece of 2x2 to the garage wall at the height of the wheel plus the above blocks. I put the wheel against the wall under this block, and then use a 4ft piece of 3x3 with a short section of 3x3 screwed to it as a lever. Place this on the tyre against the rim, stand on the rim with on foot and the lever with the other and it usually pops off straight away. Once it's off on one side, the tyre will drop into the well, and you can go at it with your levers as normal.

Regarding spoke leaks, there is a lot written about that subject on here. However, all modern trials bikes have spokes and use tubeless tyres. It's once a bit of wear and corrosion sets in that they leak around the spoke holes. There are ways to repair this, but a heavy duty tube inside a tubeless tyre also works.

Good luck

Graham

When i need to break the bead on the tyre, i always use my vice (assuming you have a vice) put your wheel in the vice place a small amount of packing to the rear of your rim, i always use wood so as not to damage the rim and do the same on the front but this time put the wood on the tyre, tighten the jaws so that they just skim under the rim and away you go. Its a peace of cake. use it on my roadbike to break the bead on 190 section tyres. Hope this helps.

Cheers HIGGO.

This method works well...........

GJ :wacko:

I know that looks a bit awkward yet it works a treat once you get the short board length set.

Our GG importer only keeps the spade shovel in his trailer. Makes it look easy!

its worth investing in a proper bike bead breaker.

can get them new for about £30 odd and second hand at usual places.

have had one for 20 odd years and it makes life so much easier

i nearly nacked my brake disk belting f**ck out of a wheel before i had the breaker

The other important thing with getting tyres off the rim once you have broken the bead (on both sides) is to make sure that the tyre bead on the opposite side of the tyre beads to the bit you are trying to lever is in the rim recess. If not you will never do it.

One trick I have used until you are confident is to use a small G clamp to pinch the two beads together at the six oclock position. You can now get the six oclock section into the rim recess. You now start levering at the 12 oclock position.

Easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Really dont understand the fuss with getting tyres off trials rims - put wheel on the floor ideally with something about an 1" under opposite side of rim (bit of wood or concrete lip at end of garage ) and stick your heel in to the bead. Jump up and down a few times and job done. Worked for me for last 10plus years -(Mich and IRC).

Really dont understand the fuss with getting tyres off trials rims - put wheel on the floor ideally with something about an 1" under opposite side of rim (bit of wood or concrete lip at end of garage ) and stick your heel in to the bead. Jump up and down a few times and job done. Worked for me for last 10plus years -(Mich and IRC).

It depends on the bike/wheel, morad rims are alot harder than your d i d, would like to see you try to get a tyre off thats not been touched for a year.

• 1 month later...