Show Me Your Twin Shocker!

sir dabs alot

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

This is my latest Hodaka trials bike build. I started building it in 2018 and rode a few Ahrma and local events in 2019. I Won the Ahrma National championship in 2020 with it.

It started life as a Ace 90. It has a Wombat 125 motor that's stock except for some work changing the internal gearing to slow it down. The front end is from a Ty175.

I also added a photo of it next to a stock Ace 90 next to it for comparison.

Cheers

Todd  

SP2.6.JPG

SP2.5.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Really nice build on the Hodaka Todd !!

I built an Ace 100 trials bike last year, but not as dedicated to trials as yours. I'm actually thinking about putting it back to trail bike mode for the ahrma ISDT reunion ride this year. If you have not done so you should post pics of it on the Hodaka club forum, I think they would enjoy seeing it.

13 hours ago, scot taco said:

Really nice build on the Hodaka Todd !!

I built an Ace 100 trials bike last year, but not as dedicated to trials as yours. I'm actually thinking about putting it back to trail bike mode for the ahrma ISDT reunion ride this year. If you have not done so you should post pics of it on the Hodaka club forum, I think they would enjoy seeing it.

Thanks Scot. 
It’s been posted on the Hodaka Club Facebook page a few times. I also rode at the trials at Hodaka days 2019. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I brought this 1974 bultaco sherpa as a rolling chassis a couple of weeks ago. and as abit of a lockdown project I decided to put an old 140cc engine in it that I had knocking about the shed.it actually rides pretty well I didn't think the engine would have the power but it picks the front wheel up no problem. just got to get a smaller front sprocket, finish some welding and a smaller seat. 

DSC_0023.JPG

3 hours ago, jon v8 said:

Looks like its been around the lawn a few times !

Yep unfortunately my local trials club is closed so iv torn the lawn up,managed to take it to some local scrub land for a bit of mud bogging and it seems these little engines are quite capable shame the flywheels are pretty small or thay would be a perfect replacement engine. Im thinking about putting a newer 212cc version in it now as they have a bigger flywheel clutch and electric start set up. The original engine is in a container on the way from America but it not known if its a runner or scrap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

How heavy are the 212cc ones?  I've not heard of those before ... it looks like a great fun project, lol

Got any more photos of how you mounted the engine?

Not shure on the weight I'd say somewhere between 15 and 20 kg. Thay are called a zongshen zs190cc with 212cc bore kits available. Iv ridden the 190cc engine and thay are quite powerful sound pretty good to. the first generation engine had a problem of dropping out of second gear thow and needed a slight mod to the shifter star.my yx140 engine is mounted with a engine hanger I made out of mild steel 3mm sheet, basically L shaped plates cut out, drilled and grinded to fit , then mounted of the original engine mounts so I can still fit an original engine if I come across a good one. If I fit a 190/212 engine il probably have to modify the frame more as thay are slightly longer and wider. Il get some more pictures next time I'm in the shed. 

Interesting, my Rieju Tango has a Zongshen copy-ish if a CG125 engine in it, it's a bit porky for trials purposes!

The ZS190 looks long / big ... that said, the 140 looks big compared to my other half's 110cc MiniGP engine, which is all I have for reference

Any issues with the oil pickup in the 140 engine?