Twinshock Not Twinshokker!

pludmugger

Hi all, getting all a bit muddled.

Looking to get into trials after many year being a road biker.

Started off thinking twinshock then something newer, after seeing what you get for your money!!!

After going to a local trial near Ipswich i am thinking twinshock.

I have been getting advice here and there.

My dilema which is a common one is which bike!

Like the Fantics till i was told last night about spares prices. Piston

fantic 200 no question.. mine cost 800 a year ago on ebay spent maybe 200 since. when i had my previous 240 nikaseal'd and piston it was 200 quid all in and thats the only bike i ve ever had to have done ( bought cheap as piston was scored)

Cheapest way into trials is certainly not any classic class like twinshocks or pre65.

It used to be, but like many things these bikes are becoming fairly expensive as you have found.

In my opinion the cheapest way into trials is a more modern bike, mid to late 90's and beyond can be bought really cheaply. Spares availability and cost will vary of course.

• Like 1

Nice SWMs on Italian e bay - I have two tl320s - great to ride $2K EACH - around a grand on parts to date and 2k on labour - parts and advice are great - just check out the bike specific forums for more info.

Id agree with wayne tho' these wont be the cheapest way to go but they are the coolest......

Hello Pludmugger, and welcome.

I returned to the fold 4 years ago after a long family break. I had a similar budget to you. Previously I rode Beta, but also various twinshocks. I still hold a nostalgic torch for the twinshocks, particularly the Fantics as my first bike was a 1978 125 and my first mono a 241.

However, they fetch good money, and need work. Too many people know the worth of these bikes, so even rough ones fetch decent cash. If you know someone who is realistic and selling a decent one, they are still worthy rides for Suffolk trials, but the last thing you want to do is spend £1000+ on a bike only to chase the niggles with another £big one.

Your cheapest route in is likely to be on more modern gear that is deemed uncompetetive by the good lads (but more than good enough for the likes of me). I purchased a 2001 Beta Rev3 for £725 and spent £250 making it good to go (new tyres, chain and sprocket, fork seals, wheel bearings etc). I then rode it for 3 years before selling it for £600. That's cheap motorsport in anyone's book. You can pick up decent early 2ks bikes for £1200, and many will be known to the competition scene and therefore usually looked after. The sort of riders that compete on 5+ year old bikes tend to know what needs to be done to keep them on the boil. If you go pre-2000, there's plenty there for pennies (Beta Technos for example rarely fetch much and are perfectly servicable).

These bikes are extremely capable and easy to ride; sometimes the twinshocks are not so manageable as most are heavier and have weaker brakes. That said, you'll still enjoy yourself.

I hope that helps. If you need any more help, drop me a line and I'll chat to you at any of our trials.

Graham

Surely your principle consideration needs to be - What's the best bike I can get for my money? If you've never ridden Trials before my main piece of advice is - It's not as easy as it looks! Grahamjayzee's advice is spot on. Modern tackle is MILES better than any twinshock you'll be able to afford (Much lighter, better engine, suspension, brakes etc. Trials bikes - like anything - have improved immeasurably in the last 30 years.

Good luck with whatever you get and remember to enjoy yourself.

One thing that i would consider, bike choice is always a personal thing so i will leave that up to you, is what sort of trials you want to ride in. Do you prefer modern trials with big steps and splats, whatever they are?, or would you prefer to ride at Classic clubs who lay out more traditional sections? If you bought a twinshock, forget P65 as for a beginner they are to high maintenance and well outside your price bracket, you can ride it at Classic Club events as well as modern events that have a twinshock class. However if you bought a modern bike, water cooled mono, then you can only ride it at modern events.

Only say this because i know of at least two people who went out and bought a modern bike only to find they didnt like riding modern sections and the people at modern trials but found they couldnt ride their modern bike at classic clubs trials which had the sort of sections they wanted to ride and the camraderie they felt missing at the modern events they tried so in the end had to sell their modern bike and buy a twinshock.

Just a thought you might dismiss but worth spending a few seconds mulling over. :popcorn:

• Like 1

My opinion is : don't ask what bike should I by at this point but what sport do I want to get involve in, modern and twinshock are in fact very different, and you should make your choise before considering a purchase. If you listen to me I will tell you Fantic, SWM, TY, Bultaco.... and if you talk to someone else they will... . Also you should decide if you want to join a club or just ride for fun, that too could be a difference maker when putting your hand in your wallet.

Guy

• Like 1

OTF and Guy53,

These are very valid points, but I think Pludmugger is in the suffolk area where modern trials are quite similar to classic trials anyway! Saints be; if someone put a 4ft step in a section they expected me to ride, I might write them a strongly worded letter!

We're a genteel lot around our way and the sections (at least on the clubman and inter routes) are ideal for either the talentless on modern bikes (that'll be me then), or anyone on a twinshock or classic.

I guess that's a nice luxury; you can pick whichever floats your boat and still be included.

Graham

• Like 1

Genteel. Like it.

Thats me lol

Right, my initial thoughts were to hark back to my youth. Ty's Fantics Bultaco twinshocks.

I wentto see a guy who had 2 pre65's 4 fantics and a Montesa 315r.When looking at the price.I thought cripes betterto get something newer, farbetter value.

Went to a trial Sunday and saw the spangly bikes and power rangers lol. Saw fred on his twin swith jeans anda sweatshirt and thought. More like it.

Hopingto start with the dabbers.

Just hoping by getting some advice to stop me buying a dodgy bike

atb