Twinshock Not Twinshokker!

pludmugger

Graham knows the score. Are there any bikes that are a disastet or any with hard to get parts for?

Off to see some Fantics tonight.

If it's twinshocks you are thinking of then Bultaco and Yamaha have probably the best parts availability closely followed by Fantic and Honda. Steer well clear of Suzuki and Montesa as parts can be problematic to say the least. SWM is well catered for but they are not the most beginner friendly bike out there. Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us all posted :popcorn:

Agree with Old trials fanatic on TY. I have Ty175 and its great. SWM is a great bike for me as a novice [and i love the fact its rare in Oz, has a wonderful engine and handles beautifully [and my daughter at 15 loves riding it]. Maybe not so flash if you going to your own engine rebuilds but thats out my league anyway.

Last plug for twinshocks promise - the people that ride them are generally friendly, helpful and are interested in the machine not just winning......with that said I like em all - people and bikes.

Hi, Ty175 or Fantic 200. With the Ty you'll get more bike for your money, parts availability is exellent,

they're very reliable and very easy to ride. also there's quite a bit you can do to improve them if you

like tinkering, all adds to the fun.

The Fantic's are a great bike but will cost more £'s for a bike of similar condition, again very easy to ride,

parts availability ok and they're reliable. Either one would be a good buy, good luck.

I used to ride in the late 70's and early 80's obviously on twinshocks, the last being a Fantic which iI loved, I then restarted 10 years ago again with a twinshock Honda and a Fantic, loved both, but then stopped again!

But really wanted to start again so looked around, in the end went for cheap..........got a Beta Techno for under £500, doesn't seem to have done much work, but once I had it how i wanted it probably stands at just over a grand, so I could have bought a twinshock!

My theory was being a rider over 50 of mediocre ability would need all the help they could get, the bike is marvelous but currently I find it very hard on the knees, great brakes, more power than I have ever had in a trials bike resulting in arm pump which i have never had before! Currently it is very maintenance intensive, but hopefully just teething issues, parts availability is brilliant, thankfully as it the advise from Lampkins.

So I am looking at selling one of my Trail bikes and getting a nice twinshock........again!

A twinshock will hold it's value, unlike the Beta which I will never recoup the money I have spent, you also have to be very careful of the provenance of older mono's too, there are a lot with a dodgy past.

The result of these ramblings??? I wish i had got a twinshock, they have soul, the modernish mono is simply a (very good) tool to ride sections with.

• Like 1

I used to ride in the late 70's and early 80's obviously on twinshocks, the last being a Fantic which iI loved, I then restarted 10 years ago again with a twinshock Honda and a Fantic, loved both, but then stopped again!

But really wanted to start again so looked around, in the end went for cheap..........got a Beta Techno for under £500, doesn't seem to have done much work, but once I had it how i wanted it probably stands at just over a grand, so I could have bought a twinshock!

My theory was being a rider over 50 of mediocre ability would need all the help they could get, the bike is marvelous but currently I find it very hard on the knees, great brakes, more power than I have ever had in a trials bike resulting in arm pump which i have never had before! Currently it is very maintenance intensive, but hopefully just teething issues, parts availability is brilliant, thankfully as it the advise from Lampkins.

So I am looking at selling one of my Trail bikes and getting a nice twinshock........again!

A twinshock will hold it's value, unlike the Beta which I will never recoup the money I have spent, you also have to be very careful of the provenance of older mono's too, there are a lot with a dodgy past.

The result of these ramblings??? I wish i had got a twinshock, they have soul, the modernish mono is simply a (very good) tool to ride sections with.

Enlighten me on the older mono issue.

Looked at 4 last night

One bit out of my price range but nice £1400

A 175cc with a Suzuki piston in!!!!!!!!!! Quite a nice bike but needed a tinkering with the carb

One a 125cc but wouldnt tickover and a bit tatty

The one i prefered was a mono, 212cc needed paint on the tank but rode nicely

£100 difference between the 125 and the other two

Enlighten me on the older mono issue.

On my Beta I have had to replace all the seals in the brakes and clutch, the seals in the head, all the linkage bearings ( had to get someone else to remove the originals ) steering head bearings water pump seal, fork seals, full rewire, as well as the usual brake pads, grips, chain, sprockets fuel pipe etc etc........I am a bit picky TBH and would probably have done a lot of this on any bike I purchased.

But the mono is a lot more work than a twinshock, hassle clearing air from the cooling system and don't get me started on bleeding the clutch!!

The first one I bought had a non Beta frame number, so was obviously dodgy as I can think of no innocent reason to do that.

Hopefully now I have done all this it will be reliable and hassle free, I have to an extent enjoyed the challenges of working on something quiet different, but the novelty of spending longer bleeding a clutch than it has taken me to build a Honda Engine from scratch has removed some of the sparkle from the relationship!!

Looks like i am heading in the right direction then!

Well maybe

Cripes, a fair few quid then.

Usual thing though.

I was told by an old mechanic. When looking to buy a car. Always look what its going to cost you to put right.

Rarely do you buy without fault or bodge

On my Beta I have had to replace all the seals in the brakes and clutch, the seals in the head, all the linkage bearings ( had to get someone else to remove the originals ) steering head bearings water pump seal, fork seals, full rewire, as well as the usual brake pads, grips, chain, sprockets fuel pipe etc etc........I am a bit picky TBH and would probably have done a lot of this on any bike I purchased.

But the mono is a lot more work than a twinshock, hassle clearing air from the cooling system and don't get me started on bleeding the clutch!!

The first one I bought had a non Beta frame number, so was obviously dodgy as I can think of no innocent reason to do that.

Hopefully now I have done all this it will be reliable and hassle free, I have to an extent enjoyed the challenges of working on something quiet different, but the novelty of spending longer bleeding a clutch than it has taken me to build a Honda Engine from scratch has removed some of the sparkle from the relationship!!

Cripes, a fair few quid then.

Usual thing though.

I was told by an old mechanic. When looking to buy a car. Always look what its going to cost you to put right.

Rarely do you buy without fault or bodge

Dead right if i buy one more bike thats had an air filter made out of 3M abrasive pads i'll scream. Filter material costs bu66er all probably cheaper than 3M pads and as for radiator hose as an inlet rubber connector grrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry just a rant. Agreed whatever you buy the B & S brigade will have been at work :wall:

• Like 1