05 5280 Pro Gear Noise

gasgasmi

About to start tearing into an 05 280. This weekend the transmission (I assume) started making a grinding sound only when in 1st and 4th gear. My guess is gears or maybe a bearing? We drained the gear oil and the magnet had a lot of metal on it, I'm talking a ball about the size of a big marble, all fairly small pieces and shaivings. Anybody had these symtems? Any advise before we tear it out and split the cases? This is the first time I've had to do any serious engine work on a Gasser.

Craig

Yes I have been lookng at them, very usefull. Was hoping to hear someone else had a bike with the same symtems and what it took to fix it. Have the engine out, my flywheel puller didn't fit so now we're hunting for a different one so we can continue.

Yes I have been lookng at them, very usefull. Was hoping to hear someone else had a bike with the same symtems and what it took to fix it. Have the engine out, my flywheel puller didn't fit so now we're hunting for a different one so we can continue.

You will need to pull everything completely apart (and I mean EVERYTHING), from what you describe. The initial failed part may have caused damage to other parts and you won't know until you carefully inspect all the parts. If you overlook or assume a part, bushing or bearing is o.k. you may just have problems later, and don't forget that tranny oil also lubricates the crank bearings.

Before that big marble of metal stuck to the drainplug magnet, it was circulated throughout the engine. You'll need to get a Gas Gas specific flywheel puller. It looks like a regular Japanese puller will fit as it is the same size and thread pitch, but the GG takes a right-hard thread and not the standard left-hand thread.

Jon

About to start tearing into an 05 280. This weekend the transmission (I assume) started making a grinding sound only when in 1st and 4th gear. My guess is gears or maybe a bearing? We drained the gear oil and the magnet had a lot of metal on it, I'm talking a ball about the size of a big marble, all fairly small pieces and shaivings. Anybody had these symtems? Any advise before we tear it out and split the cases? This is the first time I've had to do any serious engine work on a Gasser.

Craig

It will be the split bearing under the middle gear on the secondary shaft, get it ripped into and replace it and all the other bits its knackered in the process...

It will be the split bearing under the middle gear on the secondary shaft, get it ripped into and replace it and all the other bits its knackered in the process...

You are right. Must be this isn't the first one to do this.

Edited by GasGasMi

You are right. Must be this isn't the first one to do this.

You'll probably want to replace the inner and outer "races" of the needle bearing, which in this case will be a gear and a shaft.

Maintaining fresh oil in the Pro usually prevents that split needle from going bad. My Pro is 10 years old and problem-free but

I am compulsive about oil changes.

Jon