Broken Scaphoid - Anyone Else?

enwod

Hi All,

managed to break my scaphoid last week (suprisingly due to playing football and not riding my bike).

Due to the nature of the bone; I'm in a cast for at least 6 weeks, possibly double that. Which is a massive bummer as I was looking forward to getting out on my bike in this lovely weather :( Hopefully it'll be healed in time for summer.

Anyone else broken this bone? If so how long before you got back on your bike/how long before it was back to full strength?

Greetings

Done both of mine over the years [once trialling, once motocross-oh how I loved that 490 maico...] and both healed well after 6 weeks in plaster-was quite ironic being that I'm a GP....

Suggest just follow the fracture clinic instructions and hopefully you should be fine but don't be tempted to do anything too soon because non-union of the scaphoid [which can happen if you try to use it before it is healed properly] would probably stop you trialling.

Hope this helps and best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

Greetings

Done both of mine over the years [once trialling, once motocross-oh how I loved that 490 maico...] and both healed well after 6 weeks in plaster-was quite ironic being that I'm a GP....

Suggest just follow the fracture clinic instructions and hopefully you should be fine but don't be tempted to do anything too soon because non-union of the scaphoid [which can happen if you try to use it before it is healed properly] would probably stop you trialling.

Hope this helps and best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

Thanks for the reply Will; yeah I'm definitely going to take it easy as I want to be able to use it properly and continue trialing afterwards. Is it usually a case of going easy on it after it's fully healed/I'll be doing that regardless.

Aha yeah I think that's the problem Andy - I'll be stopping all these other dangerous sports and stick with trials :D

Broke mine badly and was out for 3 months,Break was healed sooner than that but took a fair bit or physio and exercise to regain the strength and full movement.Don't try and return too soon,got to be right,it'll let you know when

Hi All,

managed to break my scaphoid last week (suprisingly due to playing football and not riding my bike).

Due to the nature of the bone; I'm in a cast for at least 6 weeks, possibly double that. Which is a massive bummer as I was looking forward to getting out on my bike in this lovely weather :( Hopefully it'll be healed in time for summer.

Anyone else broken this bone? If so how long before you got back on your bike/how long before it was back to full strength?

Broken mine a few times, the worst being just before the Scottish and I had to use a carbon wrist brace. Its a slow healer due to very poor back fed blood supply. The risk being that if its not sorted properly the side that receives no blood supply can rot or die off. Eat well, get lots of calcium from a variety of sources and rest it as long as its needed.

hi,

broke mine about 7 years ago at a trial and the doc said that being in my thirties it was going to take a long time to heal,so they put a screw through it to help it heal faster but it still took 3 months.

Broke mine in as a sixteen year old in 1975, larking about on a mates 125 Dalesman Puch. In plaster for eight weeks. Stayed off my Bultaco until it healed. Didn't affect my Trialing though as I've never been much good :)

Which is a massive bummer as I was looking forward to getting out on my bike in this lovely weather :(

No rush.

Its snowing again now...

Its not a good injury for a trails rider - all that weight bearing through the hand.

Best do as they say and don't come back too soon.

meanwhile, to retain some level of fitness you could try this...

stick_figure_trapeze_artist_0515-1103-2402-5527_SMU.jpg

Seriously. Hope it heals quickly and well.

;)

Broke mine about this time last year. never healed properly but the doctors were not to concerned as it was only a small break right on the edge (a chip i would of called it). The biggest problem was getting the strength and movement back after the pot came off. first trial back was reeth 3 day and finished without to many problems, tested the wrist a few times in the process. no ill effects at all now. I broke mine falling off a unicycle, I'm s***e on 2 wheels why i thought i could do any better on 1 i don't know.

Did my left scaphoid when I was about 19 playing indoor football - got barged towards the wall and stuck my hand out :wall:

Admittedly it was a bad break, but I was in cast for over 8 weeks and it took a long time after for the pain to subside and to regain full strength. Although I didn't ride bikes much at the time, I'd say it was almost the exact position your wrist is in when you ride that gave the most pain, especially if you pushed down on it. I had next to no physio though as I live in rural Herefordshire and they didn't really give a ****, or have any regular local clinics for me to attend, the one time I did the woman obviously had no previous experience of scaphoid breaks and jsut gave me an internet print out.

So my advice is take it very slow, and don't ride until you're completely happy with it day to day, even then maybe wear a brace for a while for riding.

And, just to mention, I was driving after 2 weeks in cast, insurance and consultant said to ask the other. With the hand being cast in a claw shape I could change gear ok, but not sure how you'd come off if you did have an accident, not very well I'd suspect.

Don't rush it :icon_salut:

Did mine in real bad when I was around 20. Motorcycle accident. TWO YEARS - IN A CAST. Really sucked. Blood flow was the problem, they tried surgery (bone graft) and electromagnetic stimulation - didn't make much difference. 30 years later still has not really healed, scar tissue holding it together. Limited range of movement, but doesn't keep me from having fun. Couple times of year it hurts. Understand that mine is a rare case.