Fan Problem - Wiring Advice Needed

hoggyf

If this should go in the Gas Gas section - appologies and the mods could move it?

Got a JTX250 97 with a dead fan, was working ok last time out but I've since had the engine out for a freshen up.

The fan switch appears ok and I have an overide switch so I know I've got continuity through that (checked with multimeter)

From the rectifier on the red wire which I'm assuming is the live I'm only getting 4v when its running at bit more than tickover, (typical section revs) which doesn't seem right. I've tried for continuity through the fan motor but get nothing - is this right? - this was checking it with buzz on the multimeter, I would think I should be able to test the resisitance through the motor to prove that there is a path but I'm not sure.

I put 12v through the fan from the car battery but nothing happened??

Anybody got any advice on checking this out further, don't want to buy a fan if thats not the problem

Yeh

I thought i should be able to get a resistance thorugh it, strang ehow it just stopped though, any ideas on the voltage side??? don't want to buy a fan and find out its something else

Although your fan motor sounds siezed - I went through a few fans because voltage spikes would fry the windings. I ended up putting in a capacitor to smooth out the voltage and since then no fan problems.

Edited by TrialTrial