2012 Gas Gas Models?

hugh_b

Just after a bit of info on the 2012 models please;

-Build quality and durability? Especially compared to other brands such as beta and sherco

-How are they power wise? I find the 250 evo has a fair bit of grunt which i like, will the gasser be the same?

Thanks

the Gas Gas is lighter and more powerful but the beta is a bit easier to ride for novice riders build quality is good i have a 2010 250 and didn't had to do anything other than change the oil and air filter and cleaning the bike

Just after a bit of info on the 2012 models please;

-Build quality and durability? Especially compared to other brands such as beta and sherco

-How are they power wise? I find the 250 evo has a fair bit of grunt which i like, will the gasser be the same?

Thanks

The last time a read an article that compared the weights of the bikes, the EVO and the Gas Gas were the same. Claimed weights by the manufacturers are not to be trusted, although the claimed weight of the Beta was found to be the most accurate.

Without concentrating on published specs, just get out and try the different bikes because each feels differently, and what you really need to go for is the one that feels best. They are all good bikes, just different.

On a more subjective note, it is very hard to beat the Beta build quality, except maybe with a Montesa.

Spencer

The last time a read an article that compared the weights of the bikes, the EVO and the Gas Gas were the same. Claimed weights by the manufacturers are not to be trusted, although the claimed weight of the Beta was found to be the most accurate.

Without concentrating on published specs, just get out and try the different bikes because each feels differently, and what you really need to go for is the one that feels best. They are all good bikes, just different.

On a more subjective note, it is very hard to beat the Beta build quality, except maybe with a Montesa.

Spencer

Agreed!

The only quality issue we've had on my son's 2012 125 is with the rear shock linkage.

We noticed play after the very first ride, so checked shock mounts and re-greased all bearings, but the play was still there and has got progressively worse after every ride.

We've cleaned, checked and re-greased complete linkage 6 times now since December 25th.

Gas Gas UK say 5-10mm of play is acceptable.

Has anybody else had this problem on their new Gas Gas?

Edited by gasgasjools

I've got a 2012 250, No problems with my linkage..yet. The only thing I can fault the bike on is that the frame paint is thinner than cling film on mine.. A friend has the same year bike [280cc] and his frame paint is alot thicker, However he's had problems with his clutch after just a few outings so it seems gas gas like every other manufacturer make the occasional 'Friday special' :dunce: so make sure you have a good look around the bike your buying.

Engine wise it pulls amazingly, it's very usable right through the rev range - The front is nice and light, the brakes are great but the rear suspension is a little soft for me - I'm 6ft and 15st with riding gear on so need a heavier spring - Oh and they're a bitch to start until they loosen up :beer:

My friends who ride Beta's and Sherco's have all compared it to a mountain bike.. it feels that light. :D I find the riding position alot more friendly on the lower back than the evo.. but each to thier own.

Thanks for the replies guy's. Just a few more things:

-@ "tricks"-do you know anymore about the clutch problem your friend has had, I take it it's not a common issue? Also, i don't suppose you have had the chance to try the 280? if you have, how does it compare to your 250?

-Am i right in thinking the standard models still come with the formula brake/clutch?

-Are there any other re-occuring problems with the pro bikes such as gearbox issues, kick-starter parts failing or are these things now resolved?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Hugh

EDIT: With regards to play in the linkage, my evo had it from new and was also told it's normal. Some do and some don't it would seem!

Edited by hugh_b

-@ "tricks"-do you know anymore about the clutch problem your friend has had, I take it it's not a common issue? Also, i don't suppose you have had the chance to try the 280? if you have, how does it compare to your 250?

-Am i right in thinking the standard models still come with the formula brake/clutch?

-Are there any other re-occuring problems with the pro bikes such as gearbox issues, kick-starter parts failing or are these things now resolved?

It was something to do with a damaged/defective plate or something [he didn't really go into it in detail] not a common issue though.. there's a few lads riding them in same club I'm in and they have had no issues at all. Not ridden the 280 so can't compare to the 250 sorry.

As far as i'm aware the earlier 2012's had AJP the ones being sold at the moment come with Formula.. depends on the dealers stock.[i might be wrong though]

Gear box is clunky in the top gears 4th to 5th etc when riding fast on trails, but its super smooth when doing trials. Kick start is as strong as any other bike if you kick it right.. but like I said they can be a bitch to start until everything loosens up. I put a different plug and adjusted the air screw and she seems to start better - I also stuck to the 50-1 fuel oil, it didn't like any other mix.

HTH :icon_salut:

The only quality issue we've had on my son's 2012 125 is with the rear shock linkage.

We noticed play after the very first ride, so checked shock mounts and re-greased all bearings, but the play was still there and has got progressively worse after every ride.

We've cleaned, checked and re-greased complete linkage 6 times now since December 25th.

Gas Gas UK say 5-10mm of play is acceptable.

Has anybody else had this problem on their new Gas Gas?

there should be a small bit of play in the suspension though anyway, do you find that the dogbone bearings wear quite quickly? or is this just me?

The bearings are as good as any other if not better, they have covering washers and seals,on one sherco it didnt even have oil seals.

Its more down to maintenance and how you pressure wash in that area tbh.

Certainly there is not a better set up on a trials bike.

• Like 1

I agree Avo there should be a small amount of play, but not that much from a brand new bike that hasn't been power washed yet.

We do occasionally power wash our bikes and always inspect, clean and re-grease the complete linkage before the next ride (I used to race motocross.....so learnt the hard way!).

The movement appears to be coming from both dog bones where they attach to the frame.

I agree Avo there should be a small amount of play, but not that much from a brand new bike that hasn't been power washed yet.

We do occasionally power wash our bikes and always inspect, clean and re-grease the complete linkage before the next ride (I used to race motocross.....so learnt the hard way!).

The movement appears to be coming from both dog bones where they attach to the frame.

If you have isolated it to one pair then swap those. pretty sure there are good bearing companies in Northampton.