You've Gotta Start Somewhere! Grey Milky Oil - That's Bad, Yes?

balanceman

Hello knowledgeable ones. If the gear oil is coming out grey and milky after about 6 hours use is that normal.

Someone told me it could be river water that's been sucked in, or head gasket or water pump seals.

I've come late to trials - the riding is tricky but the maintenance seems a minefield.

Yeah milky oil is bad, a result of it mixing with water

Have you lost any water out of the radiator ?

Im no trials bike expert but judging by car/roadbike experience i think you would need quite a big hole or time in the water for it to be river water seeping in.......

read second post down in the following....may help....

http://www.trialscen...gear-oil-milky/

Edited by popmonkey69

Great, thanks for the quick answer and pointer.

Don't seem to have lost water from the rad. Which makes me think that it could be river water after all. I have taken my bike for a couple of healthy swims recently.

Edited by Balanceman

If you are not loosing coolant and have been giving a bath, then you need to understand that a hot motor will chill quickly in water, and the vent tube running under the carb inlet and down near the skidplate will suck water in as the air inside the motor cools and contracts.

Need to ck and or change the oil after fiording, and then do it again possibly to insure you get the moisture out, then get some heat into it to vent off any residual.!!!!!! :stoned:

Thank's very much folks.

Getting your info has given me confidence to investigate further, make a more reasoned diagnosis and carry out repair /change the seals if necessary.

Will report back on my progress. Probably asking if anyone knows how to re-assemble it. :-)