300Ss For A Beginner?

pkelyman

I'm looking to purchase my first trials bike. My question is, and I have never rode a trials bike, would the 300SS be too much for me? I currently ride a KTM 300xc, no racing, never have, just enjoy riding. The KTM has treated me well, i'm more of a lugger than revver and I'm comfortable with the power. Along with that, I've enjoyed off road riding for about 20 years so I'm not too new to the sport. I don't have plans to compete, just playing around in the hills and valleys by me. To add into the mix, I weigh around 200 pounds geared up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you.

The 300 SS is a nice bike. A lot of things come into play when choosing a new bike. You like smooth power and a lot of torque the 300 SS is a good choice. If your new to trials and want to compete the 250 is another very good choice. I have a 250 2t and just love it also I have ordered a 300 Factory and will probably detune it a little. Were are you located, I guessing your in the U.S by asking about the SS.

250 is more than fine. You 'll be surprised how much of a difference a 250 trials will be compared to your KTM especially if you are a lugger. I use mine all the time for tight single track riding and having fun, barely use my EXC now.

And for competition, bah, dont listen to the grumps. Do what you want. Life is about having fun. I poke around every hill and valley I can find.

• Like 2

And for competition, bah, dont listen to the grumps. Do what you want. Life is about having fun. I poke around every hill and valley I can find.

:iamwithstupid:

This place is full of goody two shoes, all too keen to toe the party line of being all prim and proper :wall:

Riding bikes is all about freedom, freedom to explore, freedom to go places you wouldn't normally, freedom to do your own thing, well that's what the appeal of biking has always been to me. Sick of reading folk on here with their holier than thou attitude.

If I was buying a bike just for fun riding, it would be a 300 for me, wouldn't dream of buying one for trialing, but for fun, 300 will give ye more kicks :thumbup:

Best advice I can give is to find some trials riders to practice with,It'll speed up your enjoyment of owning a trials bike,you could watch the Ryan Young videos but nothing helps like someone harassing you!

On June 16th and 17th there is a National in Toronto,Ohio,WELL WORTH YOUR TIME to come on down and check out the action,Don't be shy and talk to everyone you can,If I bring My trials bike you are welcome to take it for a spin(I'll be working the event,I assume I'll bring one for transportation around the property)

http://www.trialsinc.org/pdfs/Toronto_2012_National_Flyer.pdf

Hey everyone, thank you for the encouragement, advise and offer (htrdoug)!

I'm really looking forward to getting started in trials riding and as far as getting involved in a club, i'd definately like that. As far as i know, the closest club to me would be a group out of Pittsburgh, Pa. about 90 miles away. I live upwards in Pa. towards Lake Erie. If anyone knows of any other group(s) around me, I'd appreciate the information. As i get older, I'm feeling less the need for speed and the concentration, finesse and precise technique involved in trials riding sounds absolutely fascinating. (Not to mention that the closer I get to mid 50's I find that I'm a little more brittle than I used to be.) I've been sucking up just about every on line video about riding technique that I can find and yes, I'll get Ryan Youngs DVD. If any of you have any tips that you found to be especially helpful at balance (with or without a bike) I'd love to hear them. Anyways, thank all of you for taking the time to respond and hopefully as I get started and become proficent I'll be able to give back to your community.

Edited by pkelyman

Get a 200! Even a 250 can be a handful. I came from the enduro world after years on big bore 2t and 4t bikes (300EXC, 525, XR600 etc). I rode expert and had good results. I started trials on a Raga 300 as I thought it would be fine.

Oh how wrong I was! Trials uses throttle control like nothing else. I have found the 200 so good and I can tackle most things without the fear of the bike taking off to much or breaking traction when you least expect it.

Try and get a test on several bikes - even just a pootle about outside a shop will show the differences.

• Like 1

I have got the 300SS and yes it is a bear but easy to control.Very smooth off the bottum end and it rips on the loop.I am not a big guy 140lbs suited up and I can handle it.Only thing i have changed is put the slow throttle tube on just to slow down a bit.The 10 tooth front makes the gearing spot on for the riding we have here.Lots of good steep hills and gorges.So go for the big bore and welcome to our world.JR

pkelyman, for encouragement, here is some bad eveil frenchmen poking aroud the hills and valleys.

It almost does not matter what you buy it will be great. If its a bit of a handful, put on a slower throttle tube, it makes a big difference (and its cheap). Once you get the hang of it, put the other one back on.

Here is a directory of clubs. Just start calling around, go to an event, hang out with the juniors to see what its like. You'll also find guys like me who just like to enjoy the woods. There are lots of us out there.

http://www.trialsclubs.us/