300Ss For A Beginner?

pkelyman

I had the chance over the weekend to ride a '12 Beta 125 and an '07 Scorpa, what two completely different machines! The 125 very soft on delivery both on the application of the throttle and when letting off and the Scorpa ( a 250 four stroke) very abrupt on the throttle both on the application and when letting off. Is this the difference of displacement, the difference in the characteristics of 2-stroke vs 4-stroke or both?

I had the chance over the weekend to ride a '12 Beta 125 and an '07 Scorpa, what two completely different machines! The 125 very soft on delivery both on the application of the throttle and when letting off and the Scorpa ( a 250 four stroke) very abrupt on the throttle both on the application and when letting off. Is this the difference of displacement, the difference in the characteristics of 2-stroke vs 4-stroke or both?

Both!

And I do not recco 300's for new riders myself.

You want something Super Smooth, tell them to build you a 250SS with the flywheel weight installed! Then you can remove it if you like, later!

Edited by copemech

Gawd some folk go on.... join our club we need the folk, don't ride in the hills you'll kill a polar-bear.... don't listen mate, go find some fun. A trials bike is a brilliant way to explore some hills with a mate or two.

Either the 250 or a 300 (detune it a little - compression and ignition and slow throttle) will be fine. I had a big 2t trials bike and really LOVED the way it would devour a hill climb even when it was tuned down. :irish: . If you are trail-riding remember the bigger bike will go through gas a little quicker.

Get the beta 300cc 4t, it both has a smooth easy ride yet has a strong as hell mid range. And no gas mixing.

Ralphy

Edited by NZRalphy

Well, first off, i'd like to thank everyone for taking their time to offer their opinion. Today, I ordered the 300SS, the two options I got were the long ride tank/seat combo and a slow turn throttle. The bike should be here within 2-3 weeks. After I get to spend a little time with her I'll let you all know how it's going!

You will be fine if turning it into a trail tool. 300's are only a handful when needing to be very delicate in a section (and if like me have no throttle control).

Edited by pindie

When you folks got your first trials bike, what was the very first thing(s) you practiced doing? I'm thinking just the basics to start with...working on balance at a stop, small circles, figure eights.....anything you would recommend beyond that?

In addition to what you say:

Consistely be able to lift the front wheel.

Front wheel hop with back wheel held static.

All of it will make a huge difference on the single track. I have a Rev 4T with seat/tank and its fantastic on single track trails. Around here, a number of the mountain bike areas are open to trials bikes and the Beta just eats it up, lots and lots of fun.

Take time to read the manual and set the fork preload etc for your weight. Get a mate round and set rear sag etc. It will help a lot.

Its worth getting a solid block of stone or wood to practice wheelying over and stopping on etc. I use pices of old sleeper bolted together.

Also make up 10 pairs of "section" flags. I used white duct tape squares on coat hanger wire. Set these out wherever you practice. It will be second nature to head through the gates when you trial it.

If a novice set up gates to go up and down slopes with 90 degree or tighter turns, also across slopes etc.

Glad to see youi are going for the 300 you will have loads of fun on it,I would put the slow throttle on it until u get use to the power will be better for trail riding also.Had my bike in 4 weeks after order was put in.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S HERE! well, still at the dealers actually. I'll be picking it up this Saturday, 300SS.

Thank you all for your opinions to help me with my decision.

Beta-300-ss-1.jpg

Edited by pkelyman
  • Like 1