Model 199 250 Gearing

old trials fanatic

Paul I have exactly that model 198 - 250cc. and 13 / 48 is what I use and recommend you.

Thanks Javier and mrb505 will ring Talon later and order sprockets. Nothing like whats on me 199b then :thumbup:

Just one other thing mine has an alloy bashplate which looks std from the factory but yours Javier has the frame rails under the motor. Does that make mine a late model or are the UK bikes different from Spanish spec?

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I have a 198a 1979 blue bultaco with alloy baseplate It is fitted with 11x39 sprockets, the bottom gear works out at 37.7 second gear29.2,that what was on it when I bought it in 1980 Would this be standard On a 198a. Thanking you in advance. Hightown

I got confused by the title of your post Paul, I thought it was a 198 and if yours have an alloy bashplate it must be a 198A; the original sprockets must be then 11 / 39 but I recommend you there 11 / 41 or 11 / 42.

The result is the same, just they changed it when Bultaco changed the model. Some time ago I posted about the same here in TC.

Model 198 and 199 Standard = 13 / 46 I recommend for clubman´s pilots 13 / 48

Model 198a, 198b, 199a and 198b = 11 / 39 I recommend for clubman´s pilots 11 / 41

Although the result is the same, you can go 13 / 48 also.

Edited by Greeves
  • Like 1

I got confused by the title of your post Paul, I thought it was a 198 and if yours have an alloy bashplate it must be a 198A; the original sprockets must be then 11 / 39 but I recommend you there 11 / 41 or 11 / 42.

The result is the same, just they changed it when Bultaco changed the model. Some time ago I posted about the same here in TC.

Model 198 and 199 Standard = 13 / 46 I recommend for clubman´s pilots 13 / 48

Model 198a, 198b, 199a and 198b = 11 / 39 I recommend for clubman´s pilots 11 / 41

Although the result is the same, you can go 13 / 48 also.

Good job i didnt get around to ringing Talon :rolleyes: no prob. Thought it was strange the bike had a 11 tooth gearbox sprocket the same as the 340 but i felt it needed gearing down a bit for todays tighter sections. It's currently got a 44 rear on it which has been bodged up so i wanted to fit a good sprocket of the correct size. I will take Javiers advice and order a 41. I havent had chance to ride it yet as it still needs finishing. :thumbup:

I think 11 / 44 will make it too slow, maybe for a real newcomer to trials... but aniway my advice Paul is just try the bike with the 11 / 44 as you are allways on time to order the 41 or 42 sprocket as it is so easy to change. Although I am sure first gear will be too slow with 11/44 and will not push enough when you need some speed in 1st gear.